• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tell Me I'm Not Losing It!

hex0rz

Alright, so the other day the windshield wiper fluid light came on. Picked myself up a gallon of some fluid. Popped the hood in the parking lot and popped the cap on the resevoir. I start pouring it in and then noticed that its almost full after only pouring in a 1/2 gallon of fluid. Huh?

:doh:

I poured it into the coolant resevoir! :banghead:

Ok.. So I lost 1/2 gallon of fluid. It was no biggie to isolate the resevoir from the cooling system. Pop the rubber hose off and pop the resevoir out and dumped the fluid into the wiper fluid bottle.

Curiosity is, how much of a difference would it really make to the coolant system had I not noticed?

...can't believe I made such a rookie mistake! :duh:

Alright, so the other day the windshield wiper fluid light came on. Picked myself up a gallon of some fluid. Popped the hood in the parking lot and popped the cap on the resevoir. I start pouring it in and then noticed that its almost full after only pouring in a 1/2 gallon of fluid. Huh?

:doh:

I poured it into the coolant resevoir! :banghead:

Ok.. So I lost 1/2 gallon of fluid. It was no biggie to isolate the resevoir from the cooling system. Pop the rubber hose off and pop the resevoir out and dumped the fluid into the wiper fluid bottle.

Curiosity is, how much of a difference would it really make to the coolant system had I not noticed?

...can't believe I made such a rookie mistake! :duh:

If it makes you feel any better I have done it at least once that I remember. Drained it like you did and never gave it another thought. Whether it is bad for anything I dont know.

I am not sure I even have a coolant reservoir. Whenever I do anything with the coolant its just right at the radiator cap. Maybe it was an option or something.

You should have a reservoir on the back side of the radiator on the passenger side. Should be right there behind the radiator cap. 

THIS /\ /\ /\

I understand not enough got in to hurt anything. I am just wondering if it HAD pulled it in or oops I poured half gallon in the radiator, would that hurt anything. I dont know what kind of effect if any it would have on the cooling system.

You would not have hurt anything unless you filled it with washer fluid and tried to run it for a long time like that. It would have coooled fine until it got low enough to over heat. Eventually you would expeience some cooling system failure due to the chemical make up not really made for in an engine block. Washer fluid has the thermal properties of water, but not the corrosion properties of anti-freeze.

• Like 1