• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No tranny lock up in od!

So I was having an issue with my tranny not locking up the torque inverter in od or with my switch! But was shifting fine and not slipping at all no other issues! So I bought all new electronics for the vb and a new boost valve spring retainer to have all the parts when I dropped vb! So I dropped the vb today The spring retainer wasn't broken but replaced with hd unit anyways! replaced all the electronics. and cleaned(not dirty at all) But the big FU is when I was lowering the vb two pieces fell off the top off it onto my head! http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/74toyotafj/brokenband2.jpg http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/74toyotafj/brokenband1.jpg They look like wave spring pieces! But my dilemma is the tranny was shifting perfect and not slipping at all except od was not locking up! These couldn't have come from the od section in back case! This tranny has been rebuilt with all hp clutches and sutch by previous owner. There is no marks at all on top of vb or on any of the clutch components! So were these left in there some how just laying on top of vb? There doesn't seem to be any way where the wave springs are located that they could have just fallen down and done no damage! and where is the other big piece of what that whole spring should have. Looked for an hour and couldn't find any traces of marks dings or other pieces! So any ideas would be awesome!!! don't really want to pull tranny unless necessary P.S. No clutch material at all in pan,fluid nice and clean! no signs of anything wrong! Report Post Edit/Delete Message

• 4 weeks later...

The 0500 indicates a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. Sometimes this will appear if you spin the rear tires on ice, mud..... The P0622, P0743, P0753 and P1765 are all related problems. The P1765 indicates the circuit from the PCM that triggers the transmission relay to close is not producing the correct voltage. This circuit might be open or shorted. The same circuit also is used to excite the alternator field. Because the voltage is wrong to the alternator field you get a P0622. The P0753 indicates the transmission relay isn't closing which is caused by the PCM trigger circuit not functioning correctly. The P0743 tells you the torque converter circuit is out of tolerance. This also makes sense because that circuit gets power from the transmission relay which isn't closing. So basically, the PCM signal that closes the transmission relay and powers the alternator field isn't functioning. This causes the transmission relay not to close. Without the transmission relay closing, the governor solenoid, lock-up solenoid and overdrive solenoid all do not get power. If this is a hard failure your truck will go into "limp mode" and will be stuck in 3rd gear. If the truck shifts normally, than it's an intermittent problem. Have you tried to clear the codes to see if they will come back? Did someone remove the transmission relay with the ignition on? Is your alternator gauge showing 14.0 volts or so with the engine running or is it showing battery voltage (12.6 volts or so)?

Thank you for the info! I reset the codes and turned power back on to check codes and I only have the 622 and 1765 now. I have the jumper in place of the transmission relay for lock up switch. I will go out and check alernator voltage! I didnt drive it to see if other codes come on again.It's not in limp mode. P.s the jumper has been in for quite a while. does this mean the ecm is fried?

Thank you for the info! I reset the codes and turned power back on to check codes and I only have the 622 and 1765 now. I have the jumper in place of the transmission relay for lock up switch. I will go out and check alernator voltage! I didnt drive it to see if other codes come on again.It's not in limp mode. P.s the jumper has been in for quite a while. does this mean the ecm is fried?

Ahh...Having a jumper in place changes things. Removing the relay and installing a jumper wire can cause a 1765 but it should have done it right away. But seeing you ran it for quite a while without a code it doesn't seem likely that it's the problem. You could temporarily install a relay in the trans relay spot just to confirm. You could use the horn relay if you don't have the original relay handy. Your ECM definitely isn't fried. It's the PCM that controls the relay and produces the code. The ECM isn't involved. The PCM also has an internal voltage regulator that controls voltage to the generator field. We'll have to wait to see if your alternator is functioning correctly. Edited by edcasey

622 is alt field not switching......I wouldn't worry about it. My 02 has this code and it will not clear since I bought it 7 years ago with 18k miles and it now has 111k miles with no issues with original oem batteries and alternator yet. here is the code description for the otherP1756 (M) GOV Press Not Equal to Target @15-20 PSIThe requested pressure and the actual pressure are notwithin a tolerance band for the Governor Control Systemwhich is used to regulate governor pressure to controlshifts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. (Mid PressureMalfunction) P1756 (M) Governor Pressure Not Equal toTarget @ 15-20 PSIGovernor sensor input not between 10 and 25 psi whenrequested (4-speed auto. trans. only). I would check the tv cable adjustment first but I am pretty sure the rebuilder did not replace the governor pressure solenoid. Either the solenoid valve has probably got a piece of debris in it causing it to stick or the solenoid is bad but that usually will cause a limp mode condition. I would talk to the rebuilder and ask why he didn't test it before it left his shop. It is in his hands for letting it go without being tested first...........Can you say warranty? He will probably charge you for a solenoid but he needs to cover the labor and oil for the replacement of it:cookoo:

• Like 1

622 is alt field not switching......I wouldn't worry about it. My 02 has had this code and it will not clear since I bought it 7 years ago with 18k miles and it now has 111k miles with no issues. here is the code description for the other P1756 (M) GOV Press Not Equal to Target @ 15-20 PSI The requested pressure and the actual pressure are not within a tolerance band for the Governor Control System which is used to regulate governor pressure to control shifts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. (Mid Pressure Malfunction) P1756 (M) Governor Pressure Not Equal to Target @ 15-20 PSI Governor sensor input not between 10 and 25 psi when requested (4-speed auto. trans. only). I would check the tv cable adjustment first but I am pretty sure the rebuilder did not replace the governor pressure solenoid. the solenoid valve has probably got a piece of debris in it causing it to stick. I would talk to the rebuilder and ask why he didn't test it before it left his shop. It is in his hands for letting it go without being tested first...........Can you say warranty?:cookoo:

Wild, he wrote 1765 in two posts and 1756 in the last one so I'm not sure which is correct. Edited by edcasey

P1765 (M) Trans 12 Volt Supply Relay CTRLCircuitAn open or shorted condition is detected in theTransmission Relay control circuit. This relay suppliespower to the TCCP1765 (M) Trans 12 Volt Supply Relay CtrlCircuitCurrent state of solenoid output port is different thanexpected (4-speed auto. trans. only). The second one would still indicate a bad solenoid or sticky valve.

Sorry I meant 1765. I rebuilt the tranny and I replaced all the electronics with new ones. Its been in for a week with no codes running fine except it wasn't locking the tc in od. Problem I had before rebuild. So today I dropped vb to check everything in it. I adjusted line pressurre to 65 from test port after back together. That's when I noticed all the codes. P.s. still not locking in od. I'm at a loss trying to figure this out! Do you guys think I got a faulty solenoid? Even though I just got codes today? Thanks agaiin for the help!!

The reason I originally dropped pan and vb was to replace electronics cause tranny would not lockup the tc in od or with switch(still doing it) so when I dropped pan found 2 pieces of the od clutch pack retaining ring! So I rebuilt with all new red eagle clutches,sonnax servo's and a transgo stage 2 vb kit. It has a bd torque inverter.

Go to this site http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html go to kits and components and check out this part below. New Chrysler 618RE Governor Pressure Conversion Upgrade Kit Part No. 618-GK Price: $139.00 This kit was specifically designed to improve the reliability of the governor solenoid in normal use and to handle higher base pressure in high performance application. This unit will fit both early and late style. We recommend you also install a new Governor Pressure Sensor/Transducer with this kit. This kit in testing was found to be extremely reliable in every situation. Contamination metal, fiber, clutch material does not phase the RE conversion kit. Parts included in this kit: • Manifold is made of 6061T6 Billet Aluminum • New Borg Warner Solenoid • 1/4 20 Grade 5 bolts (4) • Viton O-Rings (3) • Gasket • Cap screws (3) • Set screw • Delphi/Packard connectors • Bracket for Solenoid and Governor sensor

I would check to make sure you are getting power for your lockup to work first off. Remove your Lockup switch ground wire and replace with a test light, go far a little test drive, test light should be lite all the time since the ECM only grounds the TCC solinoid to command lockup. it will tell you if your getting power to the TCC solinoid.

On the lock up switch did you put a 1/2 watt 33-ohm resistor on the negitive side of the switch?Not doing this sometimes freaks things out.

Wheni i did that it would act weird so i took it out! Ok so I can feel it very lightly locking up but only slight drag on motor def not right! works by itself and with the switch! pulled the vb today tore whole thing down cleaned and reassembled. no change! still have the 1765 code!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here's a head scratcher!! all my codes are gone but still only slightly working! I hooked up my lockup switch and engaged it on and off then put me in limp mode(3rd only)and threw a 0743 code. I was leaning towards needing a new tc before this happened now I think it def is. But why doesn't it do this under normal operating conditions with pcm controlling it?

p0743 is torque converter clutch solenoid/trans relay circuits....have you checked the harness? i believe that solenoid is on the other side of the valve body...have you had the alternator tested? you had this code listed previously. is it possible it is just stored but not pending?