• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking For A Recommendation For An In-Line Filter

Hello all,

I just installed a new Gearotor/Motor tower assembly on my Air Dog FP-100. While it was out on the bench, I noticed there was some debris in the pre-filter screen at the inlet to the water separator. It looks like disintegrated paper, I think my wife had the small cardboard seal in the cap of a bottle of fuel treatment fall into the tank months back. Now it has broken down and the fibers are clogging the screen.

I have 1/2" fuel lines for the whole system, can anyone recommend a good in-line filter to cut into the pump supply line? I would like one that I can disassemble to replace the element and clean. Most of the in-line filters I have seen are for 1/4" to 3/8" lines, can I get one for 1/2" lines that won't cause a detrimental amount of flow restriction to the Air Dog? The last thing I need is to fail another pump on it, I'm already on my 4th pump in 7 years.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions.

J Turner

Just go buy a 1/2" in/out metal inline filter. I think they are like 140 micron. And then just replace it when you replace filters. I have been putting them in on the raptors. You can get them from the auto parts stores. I can't remember the part number right now. The filters are cheap so no need to clean them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-2526?seid=srese1&gclid=CLm9ytHx1bwCFdFAMgodgXgAkw

Edited by mopartechnician

I  run   2    napa gold  3270's   in   parallel.      They  are    3/8th's  though.               Those  filters  are a  metal  clad    'g-2'   type  but  use a  screen  instead of   a    paper element.   Nice  thing  about  the  metal  clad part:    When they  gel up... (and  this  winter  has been  a  'test')....  the  metal is  very   'heat gun'  friendly!!

Can't clean these,    throw them away.

Mopartechnician    says  there  is   1/2  inch  ones  out there.   ( any chance  on where you are  getting them???)  hint hint...

I   been looking  at  various    ag sprayer  type   cleanable  screens.    Only  problem  with those  is  the    seals   are not  diesel  compatible.

Edited by rancherman

The 1/2" inline metal filters are a WIX part number of 33248. It is just a disposable inline filter. I actually mounted a filter base and use a BF1212 (Fleetguard FS1212) before my pump. That way it also doubles as an extra water seperator too. I think the filter base is a Fleetguard part number of 142784S and you can mount it almost anywhere.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the pump being harmed by debris. My concern is that the screen on the inlet fitting to the water separator becomes loaded up with this fiber type stuff and starves the pump for flow. This in turn starves out my injection pump and then I'm out a grand because I didn't add a $5 inline filter to catch the crap until it works it's way out of the system.

Just go buy a 1/2" in/out metal inline filter. I think they are like 140 micron. And then just replace it when you replace filters. I have been putting them in on the raptors. You can get them from the auto parts stores. I can't remember the part number right now. The filters are cheap so no need to clean them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-2526?seid=srese1&gclid=CLm9ytHx1bwCFdFAMgodgXgAkw

So, you are just cutting the 1/2" line from the tank to the Raptor? That's an easy and cheap fix.

The  reason  I  like  the  cleanable  type  screen,   is   just  that;   cleanable.

I never know  when   gel,  or  crud  is  going   to  strike.    It  might be   once  a  week,  or  once a year...   and   ANY filter/screen  on the suction side  is  problematic.    

SS-124-1-12-I30-Strainer.jpgThis  can  be  spun off for  a  fast  dump/clean.    There  is  a simple  column  of  screen  (various  size available) 

It's  a  simple  agriculture  sprayer  screen, LOTS  of   surface area,  and  has  no  ability   to separate   water..  it  only  screens.  This particular one   is  a  cast iron  head,  and  nylon  cup.  Stainless steel   screen.   I  have  similar ones  on a  couple of  tractors.   (to protect  my electric  lift pumps)   This one  has   1.5 inch ports.  (should be enough eh?)

On  my  '00,   I have  the  fass  drp 02,   (warrantee dictated  me to run  a  filter before the pump..  wix 3270's)