• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

07 6.7 with a failed turbo?

So there was a truck in the shop this weekend and came in with a check engine light on with a P2262 code. Dodge dealer told the owner it was going to cost $2800 to fix due to he needed a new turbo. During inspection of the turbo and its functions( after draining the coolant) and removing the actuator from the side of the turbo we noticed that the lever actuator would only move about half way between open and closed. I removed the turbo and dissembled it into the 3 main pieces exhaust housing - cartridge - boost housing. When separating the cartridge from the exhaust housing I had to use 2 pry bars to separate the 2 pieces after looking at the VGT slide part I realized that the reason it was not functioning was due to the fins being bent in.

So 2 questions-

1) has any one else had this type of problem?

2) If so did you have to order a whole new turbo or were you able to order parts for the turbo to have it repaired?

Oh and the truck only had 67000 miles on it.

So there was a truck in the shop this weekend and came in with a check engine light on with a P2262 code. Dodge dealer told the owner it was going to cost $2800 to fix due to he needed a new turbo. During inspection of the turbo and its functions( after draining the coolant) and removing the actuator from the side of the turbo we noticed that the lever actuator would only move about half way between open and closed. I removed the turbo and dissembled it into the 3 main pieces exhaust housing - cartridge - boost housing. When separating the cartridge from the exhaust housing I had to use 2 pry bars to separate the 2 pieces after looking at the VGT slide part I realized that the reason it was not functioning was due to the fins being bent in.

So 2 questions-

1) has any one else had this type of problem?

2) If so did you have to order a whole new turbo or were you able to order parts for the turbo to have it repaired?

Oh and the truck only had 67000 miles on it.

I'd sure like to see a picture or three of that if you can.

Did he run something thru the turbo???

I have all the pieces and when i go back out to the shop I'll get them and take pics of all the parts and post them for everyone. It doesn't look like anything besides normal exhaust went through it. the truck is all factory no chips or tuners in it. Just the VGT veins were lodged in the exhaust housing. I'll probably be at the shop on Wednesday and I'll get the old parts and to get some good pics of the pieces.

Short of something going through the turbo or extreme amounts of heat I don't see how that could get damaged (if I'm my thinking of what damage you described is right).

The only trouble with that part of the VGT turbos I've seen is the VGT ring getting all carboned up and seizing, had that happen to a HE551 on a ISX at work.

I originally thought the same thing but when it took 2 pry bars to get the cartridge out of the exhaust housing I knew something was wrong. I picked up the turbo today and I'll get some pics of it as i tear it down and show how it will not go back together.

and more of the dis assembly. If you look at pic#530 you can see how the VGT will only go so far back into the exhaust housing and not sit flat. I have been working on the flights to try and straighten them to see if i can get it to work but i have not been able to get it back together yet.

post-1216-0-24223500-1395096708_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-84896900-1395096732_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-60701400-1395096767_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-08029400-1395096803_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-01772100-1395096833_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-13236700-1395096854_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-00278500-1395096878_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-32182400-1395096898_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-37555000-1395096928_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-48087100-1395096962_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-05016300-1395096979_thumb.jp

post-1216-0-37507300-1395096996_thumb.jp

Just now saw the second post full of pictures and I see what you mean about the vanes not going in like they should but I've got nothing.

I'm really scratching my head as to how that could happen now  :think:  

Are any of the vane slots messed up/ have debris in them? parts put on that turbo in the past from another turbo?  :shrug:

Edited by bjytech

Is this an HE351?

Yes this is the stock HE351 variable vain turbo that came on the truck and the truck only has 67k on it. The truck is bone stock no mods or alterations. The owner is in his 60's and I'm trying to get him to spring for a programmer and do a DPF/EGR delete.

According to brian at SMARTY getting one and using it without a delete is better.

I'm curious now as to what could have caused this failure? I'm really eyeing an HE351 for a swap and don't want to buy a problematic turbo...

Variable vane turbos themselves are very reliable and have been around much longer than the inception of the 6.7 In a Ram pickup. Volkswagon has been using vgt setups since the late 90s and they run 100s of thousands of miles trouble free for the most part. The majority of problems start with the EGR system plugging up (at 67k miles the owner is due for this cleaning) or the dpf plugging off. Either way it seems it is almost always emissions related that starts the chain reaction that leads to a turbo failure.