• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've noticed that since I installed a Raptor 100 and have 14+ psi consistently, after the first filter change the filter is going a lot longer than it used to. I bet that before the new pump I was returning little or no fuel to the tank. Pressure was too low. I've noticed that the first stock fuel filter change was very black. Now I can go 10,000 miles and the filter is still white. I think that first filter scrubbed all of the built up junk out of the system.

I am still getting some crud on the inlet filter of the raptor. My intention is to install a simple metal inline filter on the suction side Of the fuel pump. I am thinking of installing a couple of isolation ball valves on both ends of the filter to make changing the filter easy and not loosing much fuel or introducing much air into the fuel line. I think this should be a cheap way to keep the raptor happy and keep the inlet screen clear of debris. With the isolation valves changing the in line filter should take 5 minutes and be cheap.

• Staff

Joe place the ball valves either side of the Raptor and Filter so servicing the pump is easier too.

I'd junk the inlet screen on the Raptor after you get a prefilter installed. It's just another restriction you don't need. Make sure the prefilter is designed to go on the suction side.

Also junk the intank screens and the little plastic filter in the bottom of the fuel canister. It just unsnaps/ pops off the canister housing.

All that stuff in my book is Dodge's cheap way to try and filter without doing it right.

On the big Motoryachts when the Cummins engines run reliably  lives depend on it in the open ocean. Each and every Diesel engine at sea has a pre lift pump filter refered to as 'prefilter' or primary filter and then the secondary filter.

Talk about long lasting filters... having the primary and secondary filter really works for that

• Staff

I thought most all of the old metal fuel filters that were used with an engine actuated mechanical fuel pump were suction filters?

I guess you are probably right. Mine says on it, 'for suction side only' :think: . I 've never seen one say, 'for pressure side only' :neutral:

Edited by JAG1

I've got the Vulcan big line hoses. Should I order some fittings from them or can I get something off the shelf? 1/2 barb x male pipe thread.

Most any parts store should have that style fitting. Try to make sure it's a push lock style barb and not just a regular barb fitting. Otherwise you will have to use clamps. The push lock fittings, you just push the hose on and you're done.

• Staff

Aren't the push locks showing some problems with some air and fuel leaks? Not all the time or every one, but, I did hear it's best to get rid of them so I did.

I like good old stainless clamps anyhow since my push locks on my compressor hoses always wears out.. don't trust'em.

Make sure you stay taper thread to taper thread when adapting the barbed fittings. The ball valves have a tapered thread so stay all tapered and you will have no leaks. Plumbing supply house is where I got the brass for mine.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

JAG I think we are thinking of different push lock fittings. These are the ones I was talking about. I did my whole fuel system with them and they work great! No way for these babies to leak and they are good for 300 psi with no clamps needed!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Push+Lok+fittings&biw=1239&bih=557&tbm=isch&imgil=h05hZHp7vNMhgM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fencrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9GcRjdnhbdYp38HrmRODaCChkedIuEmvL7gNDKPcmfAME91a9lU9Q9A%253B601%253B480%253BUfejCVgN_WNWkM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.cccme.org.cn%25252Fshop%25252Fpoolke%25252Findex.aspx&source=iu&usg=__eYQlr5EZWeqv7xSDNGIxI_i-zTk%3D&sa=X&ei=EG0kU-HqEKn_yQHm5ICwAQ&ved=0CGAQ9QEwBA#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=h05hZHp7vNMhgM%253A%3BUfejCVgN_WNWkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimage2.cccme.org.cn%252Fi_supply%252F2009%252F6%252F8%252F201012281402331345_174409718.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cccme.org.cn%252Fshop%252Fpoolke%252Findex.aspx%3B601%3B480

I agree with you Will. I used the same ones you are showing-came in my Vulcan big line kit. I thought that those types are called 'barbed'  fittings because plumbers and suppliers call those  'barbed'.

I have it confused I guess as my new Raptor pump came with the compressor hose type and thought those must be called the 'push locks'

Will, I wonder if they should be called clampless barbed or something because of this confusion.

I really don't know

• Like 1