• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Done Experimenting

dorkweed

Just over a month ago........when the really cold weather got here..........I decided to experiment with the Smarty setiings on my truck. Well, for 1+ month now I've been driving on SW3. The mileage sucks when compared to SW5........at least on my truck. I switched back this morning, and...........holy cow, I've got OOOOOMMMFFFF!!!!! now!!!!! SW3 on default setting was/is a puke on my truck. SW3 is 60hp. SW5 is 90hp. For the month on SW3 I ws getting about 16-17mpg.........it was really, really cold in that span though. I ran SW5 for over a year prior to this "experiment". Stupid me!!!!! If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!!! Hopefully on SW5 I can get back to the 18-19mpg on winter fuel like last year.

Remember, I've got the Smarty Revo. I can advance timing if I want.....................I've tried it, and I get "timing rattle" probably due to the "tone wheel" mod that I did!! I suppose I could try to "retard" the tone wheel a bit and then advance the timing with the Smarty.......................kind of the same thing, different way though; right????With the Smarty Revo, the timing on the "default settings" is stock which I'm running. No timing increase unless you tell it so in the "options"!!!If y'all like, I'll scan and post the destructions from my Smarty!!!:thumbsup:

I got my truck when it was bone stock and I have NEVER seen a difference in mileage since. I am really not sure I gained anything with the timing at all. It has better throttle response, maybe some more power but nothing I can justify on the MPG charts.

• Owner

Remember, I've got the Smarty Revo. I can advance timing if I want.....................I've tried it, and I get "timing rattle" probably due to the "tone wheel" mod that I did!! I suppose I could try to "retard" the tone wheel a bit and then advance the timing with the Smarty.......................kind of the same thing, different way though; right???? With the Smarty Revo, the timing on the "default settings" is stock which I'm running. No timing increase unless you tell it so in the "options"!!! If y'all like, I'll scan and post the destructions from my Smarty!!!:thumbsup:

I would love to see that... I wonder if a bit of the ECM have to relearn too. Kind of like predicting you driving habits but you flashed a new program and now its got to re-learn... (Wild idea and guess)

I would love to see that... I wonder if a bit of the ECM have to relearn too. Kind of like predicting you driving habits but you flashed a new program and now its got to re-learn... (Wild idea and guess)

you know....that makes sense! but it had not crossed my mind. I wonder if anyone with a smarty noticed a learning curve?