• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pressure rises slowly

I have a 98 cummins 24v just turned 92000 miles, stock as far as i know. It sis come with 2 gauges, boost and fuel pressure, though itès only 15psi. It used to bury the needle just after startup. But recently, on a fifth wheel trip to the southeast, it started at about 9 psi and slowly rose to about 14 psi. It was shortly after a fiilup so i thought it might be bad fuel, so i added some diesel kleen in the white bottle and things seem to improve somewhat. I continued on to cold Canada, where i am cuurently at a friends place and the fifth wheel is sitting in a public parking lot (with permission, of course).

Yesterday I started it up and it was at 6 psi, and rose slowly to 12. I changed the fuel filter, but it didn't help.This morning I had to move the truck and it was even lower at about 4 psi. The truck has run ok all along, no hard start, no white smoke, no loss of power. However, at about the same time the tailpipe began making a rattling noise at idle. Don't know if that's related or not.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion? I'll appreciate any help i can get.

I'm thinking it could be the pump, too but idon't want to spend time and money on a fuel pumpI I don't need, like i did with the fuel filter.

The gauge says "auto meter pro comp ultra lite must be used with isolator". Can't see a nodel numberThere is a rubber hose going into a red, fairly flat, cylinder (the isolator?), and from there into a braided stainless hose that goes into the dash. So, mechanical, i'm guessing?

I agree with either buying or renting a mechanical gauge. At this point, it could be the Lift pump going bad, your gauge is bad, the isolator could be causing problems, etc. Double check with a straight mechanical gauge before you do anything and that will point you in the right area.

I appreciate all of the quick replies. I called the parts store where i bought the filter and they suggested a shop close by that could do a fuel pressure test. They connected up to the hose at the isolator and read 20 psi at idle, while the gauge read 6 psi. So the problem is probably in the isolator. Nice guys, too, and they didn't charge me. A big load off my mind. Thank you again for all the prompt response.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently had to take my dash out and in order to do that I had to take the piller pod off and disconnect all my gauges when I hooked them back up my fuel pressure is very slow to come up. I did not change anything just disconnected it and hooked it back up. it is a mechanical gauge with a needel valve and a snubber. any one have any ideas. 

If you are using plastic nylon tubing for the fuel pressure gauge, double check your compression fittings. Sometimes the ferrals can get crooked when you go to tighten the nut down. That would act like a kink but you would never find it unless you back the nut off again.