• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead cylinder

Ok boys and girls, I know I have been MIA, have had a lot going on, now I am back and I am in need of help!!!

Driving my 06 Ram 3500 CR 5.9 to town the other morning, everything was going well then I felt a vibration and noticed the gear shifting was dancing. I clutched it and the truck seem to be running ok, slowed down to about 25 mph trying to find a wide safe spot to stop. When ever I pulled over I noticed I had a significant amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Turned truck off called a buddy went to the shop and got my rollback, (thank goodness I own the towing company...lol) towed the truck to shop, hooked up the diagnostic tool found one code about speed sensor. So I did an injector kill test , found number 4 to be dead, replaced with a good injector and number 4 cylinder is still dead. Any ideas on where I need to go next?

Ok boys and girls, I know I have been MIA, have had a lot going on, now I am back and I am in need of help!!!

Driving my 06 Ram 3500 CR 5.9 to town the other morning, everything was going well then I felt a vibration and noticed the gear shifting was dancing. I clutched it and the truck seem to be running ok, slowed down to about 25 mph trying to find a wide safe spot to stop. When ever I pulled over I noticed I had a significant amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Turned truck off called a buddy went to the shop and got my rollback, (thank goodness I own the towing company...lol) towed the truck to shop, hooked up the diagnostic tool found one code about speed sensor. So I did an injector kill test , found number 4 to be dead, replaced with a good injector and number 4 cylinder is still dead. Any ideas on where I need to go next?

Check your injector wiring harness and wiring.

Start with the simple things first (but you know that). Like what was said above, check the wiring. There may be a chafed wire or something like that. Harness problems don't always give a DTC. The next thing is the injector that you put it. Is it a used injector? Could it have possibly stuck? Does the truck still put out white smoke? Is the radiator still full?

This isnt going to be wiring related since he is blowing white smoke. If it was wiring than he would have codes and the injector wouldnt be firing. His injector is stuck open and most likely it washed the cylinder down. You cant see it start as easily as a 03-04 because of the piston bowl size. Most likely oil is over full and there is lots of crankcase pressure.

I seem to recall the Power Stroke had an issue with a harness problem near the rear of the right head and it would cause symptoms quite similar and not always throw codes. The reason I would want to check it is because the symptoms didn't change when the injector was changed unless the piston has a big hole in it.

Powerstrokes use electricity to open and close their injectors. Cummins uses it only to open. I have actually worked on a 6.0 that had a pin in the wiring connector pop out so it stuck the injector open. The exhaust manifold was litterally dripping with fuel. I have replaced almost 200 common rail cummins injectors and roughly 6 engines that were washed out. This is classic symptoms. If it was a bad coil on the injector it would of followed the injector or thrown a code. If it was the valve cover gasket wiring it would throw a code. A compression test will tell lots

I agree that a compression test will tell lots. Hopefully there is a simple solution to this, and yes, they are classic symptoms of an injector problem, but there are times when things don't go according to the book!! I know I have had some........

Well I swapped injectors from number 4 cylinder to number 1 and number 4 is staying dead. I did check and I am getting fire to the injector. So I did a little more checking around put the engine all back together and took the oil filler cap off and it danced around and I couldn't keep it in place with tremendous amount of blow by. So I am in the market for an engine, as bad as I want to replace the engine its cheaper to keep this truck than it is to go buy a new one. So if any of yall know where a good engine is let me know.

Wish I could take a 24valve and convert it to a common rail because I have a good engine that runs!!! :lmao:  :think:  :shrug:

The first thing I would do is pull the head and see how bad it really is. You MIGHT get by just honing the cylinder and putting another piston in. You won't know until you look at it.

From what I understand the 5.9 blocks are similar, but you need to make sure the cam and or crank sensors are the same. The mounts and bell housings are the same.

• Like 1