• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well after doing some driving with the new pyrometer I feel like my EGTs are a bit higher than they should be. Accelerating to 65-70mph by the time I get there I am around 900+ easy. If I do the same going up hill then I can reach 1100+ which is what bothers me. Mind you this is completely empty. Is this normal?? I am not lasting through the gears, I shift around 16-2000rpms depending on grade of hill. Anyways what do you guys think?

• Owner

Well after doing some driving with the new pyrometer I feel like my EGTs are a bit higher than they should be. Accelerating to 65-70mph by the time I get there I am around 900+ easy. If I do the same going up hill then I can reach 1100+ which is what bothers me. Mind you this is completely empty. Is this normal?? I am not lasting through the gears, I shift around 16-2000rpms depending on grade of hill. Anyways what do you guys think?

6-7% grade at 65 MPH empty truck I'm right at 1,000 to 1,100*F But now hitch up the RV and use 4th gear at about 53-55 MPH I'm about the same EGT's but now going from 7,600 pounds empty to hitched and loaded at almost 17,000 pounds. WOT run from 55 to nearly 90-95 MPH I'll tip over 1,400*F just flat kicking the pig.

Ya I think you are right where you should be for EGT's. Idle is good and cruising is good.

Well I maybe a hypochondriac towards my trucks integrity sometimes. Just like to hear what everyone else thinks and see what the general consensus is. Thanks man and thanks Mike. 

One other question, I have heard that a turbo back exhaust will lower EGTs is this true? Would it be beneficial for me to purchase a 4" turbo-back exhaust in the future?

• Owner
Would it be beneficial for me to purchase a 4" turbo-back exhaust in the future?

Not really I've no seen anything here that I couldn't handle with my old stock 3" straight pipe and my current fuel system (+50HP and the Edge Comp). I can see stupid high EGT's but I got to be driving stupid fast too. So if I drive like a normal white man then no problems.

• Like 1

Once I can figure out how to get my hands on a new turbo with a pacbrake or an he351, a new 4" exhaust will go in as well. I very much like the idea of lower EGT's.

I've gotta replace my exhaust manifold as well. Its cracked...

I acquired a brand new Diamond Eye TBE second hand for next to nothing. Initially I gotta say I wasn't exactly impressed because it came in so many pieces, down pipe straight section to replace resonator, and 2 piece tail pipe. Once I fit it together I tacked it together then dropped it back down and welded most of the connections, leaving the muffler to be clamped in the event I need to change it someday. It is an aluminized system and after dealing with 3 harsh winters of high humidity and road salt, brine, beet juice, and whatever else they throw on the roads here it still looks like new. It has discolored a bit naturally but there is not one spot of rust anywhere on the entire pipe except at the clamps and hangers. I believe Diamond Eye is one of the cheaper systems you can buy but I have to say they do at least use a good quality exhaust pipe. I've bought Walker systems and a few other cheaper over the counter exhaust systems for different vehicles and by the third winter had holes in the pipe again.