• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Horsepower hill..

Decided to make a movie on my way here of this one longg hill. You can tell how long it is from how long it was at 7psi.. Cruise was set at 55mph and stuff just like I show at the end of the movie. This is just proof of how going 55 gets you mileage. 7psi and 800f is normal 80mph specs (compared to going 80mph up this hill at probably 20psi 1000F).. You can see before the hill it was running around 500F 2psi, that was on flat kinda uphill ground. This hill is an absolute killer for gassers. They keep up for maybe 5 seconds then they lose all their momentum and can go from my bumper to about 20 car lengths+ back. Anyways, I found it kinda neat, thought I'd share it. Oh and those weird noises are the road bumps, watching camera too much :lol3:

Edited by ISX

(not being an ahole)some times they design roads for certain speed.... this reminds me of new orleans....or na-lins if your from that part. the lanes on the huey p long bridge are so narrow that 2 big rigs in each lane touch if one tries to pass. they won't widen the bridge as i have been told "because you can't build enough speed to brake the barrier. its a safety concern". i told them semis hitting me was a safety concern... but that flashed into my mind as i read

This hill is an absolute killer for gassers. They keep up for maybe 5 seconds then they lose all their momentum and can go from my bumper to about 20 car lengths+ back.

i've been explaining all week the diff between hp and tq...i showed them this thread..."we'll why didn't you say it like he did"

Yeah you can see that I am right at my max torque rating (1600rpm) and going up that hill is effortless. Gassers, having no tq, have to redline it so they get all the HP they can, in a way, HP is a measure of momentum..The faster you can spin the engine the more momentum it has. Tq is not momentum, it is pure power. HP is like spinning a socket very fast, then jamming it on the bolt and tightening it that way, TQ is like tightening it with breaker bars and other things to get all the force you need. Obviously, diesels do not have much HP. The cummins maxes out at 325 stock and dmax and powerstroke I think hit 350. We cannot rev very high, therefore we barely have any momentum (HP). The dmax and powerstroke have a slight advantage because they can rev higher due to their design, but this rpm advantage goes unnoticed as it also comes with many dissadvantages. You notice nowadays that any new v8 gasser can match our diesels stock HP, this is due to the fact that they can rev 5-6K RPM.

shoot... i've seen stock 4cylinder vtec #'s that were similar "horsepower"....something similar started that debate!remember that RPMs push the horsepower #'s way up...lookHP=(TQ*RPM)/5252.......The constant 5252 comes from (33,000 ft·lbf/min)/(2π rad./rev.)ohh....i loved this...1 HP ≡ 33,000 ft·lbf/min1 hp = 550 ft·lbf/s,1 hp = 746 Wcan you say marketing gimmick...been that way since the phrase was coined!

Edited by guesswho512

The whole calculation of it has never made any sense to me. I don't understand what in the hell horsepower is supposed to mean in the real world at all. Theoretically, I only have around 300-350HP, yet my truck can keep up with things at the same HP with half the weight (mustangs, camaros) and then start to pass them until I top out.. They should be overtaking me like crazy on the high end but the opposite seems to be the result. So to me, HP is inaccurate and useless.