• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead Petal - P0216 issues

I've got a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 92k miles.  I have Afe airbox, Afe Stanless exhaust, Banks intake and big hoss box, and a Fass factory replacement  lift pump.  I am getting the P0216 error code and am getting the dead throttle.  The dead throttle only happens between 45 and 60 mph when the tranny shifts in to overdrive and with easy throttle pressure.  If your on the throttle enough to get the truck to 70 or 75 it does not do it.  Once it goes dead in will work again once you get the throttle past 83,2 %.  The problem also seems to be much worse once the outside air temp is above 70 degrees.  I have done a pressure test and the idle pressure is 17 lbs, rolling WOT drops to about 8.5 lbs and a standing start WOT to 85 mph drops to about 7.7 lbs after second gear shift.  When the throttle goes dead the fuel pressure is not effected.  I did install a Timbo TPPS and it did not change anything.  I have back bladed the TPPS and the voltage stays correct during the dead throttle and also the TPPS percentage stays accurate on my OBDii scanner.  My question is will a Injection pump cause this or is this maybe a PCM or other electrical issue ?   Have not heard of a pump doing this in just one spot before,  

Thanks for any help,

Tom

• Owner

Fuel pressure is too low and should be kept between 14-20 PSI at all times for optimal health of the VP44. But you have a seized timing piston and most likely nothing can be done about it now (P0216). The other cause for this is lack of fuel lubricity and not meeting Bosch's requirement of <450 HFRR where most today's fuel is ~520 HFRR.

psi9x.jpg

The dead pedal is a sign of a bad alternator and AC noise causing shifting issues with the torque converter. So I would have the alternator tested for AC noise and also scan for any error codes to give more clues.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help.  I already have a new injection pump and a new Fass Titanium pump/filter and 1/2 inch fuel line kit.  The direct replacement one was installed just to make things work till I could get to the bottom of the problems ( friend had one for me to borrow ).  I don't like to just replace things with out learning all i can about how things work, and or not work.....lol.  I totally forgot about the alternator AC spikes problem, have read about that several times and completely looked over that.  I ran mine though my scanner and that is for sure one of my problems,  Once again thanks so much for all the help, as you guys know this is the BEST forum anywhere for Dodge stuff.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S.  Whats the best way to donate money for the forum ?

• Like 2