• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission shift points

My buddy that I go drag racing with has a 98.5 with a 47RE in it. After racing this past weekend he asked me when does my converter lock when I'm going down the strip. I told him that it locks between 75 and 80 MPH. He was suprised and said his didn't lock until he wa about to cross the 1/4 mile line at around 94 MPH. He also said when it does that he's only dropping about 200-300 RPMs. Does this sound like he has a problem, and if so can the shift point be adjusted?Thanks in advance for your vast knowledge!

Thanks Mopar I appreciate the input. Hopefuly someone else may be knowledgeable about these transmissions. A lock up switch is the answer most people seem to be suggesting. We will be adding the lock up switch once we figure out the shifting issue. We need the trans shiftpoints to hit sooner to keep the motor in it's peak power range and believe that just doing a lock up switch would only help to mask the problem but is not realy fixing anything.I forgot to mention that he is running 3:55 gears same as I am. I get lock up around 75-80 WOT. When he had his trans built the guy who did it told him he did something to adjust shiftpoints but we are having trouble finding out wat that was so we can adjust the shift points. Also his truck will downshift hard if he goes WOT at 80MPH.

• Owner

Well as for shift points you could look into your line pressures and be sure you getting enough (updated valve body). Then re-do your band adjustment... Head over to the download tab and grab a book there is good information on trans stuff there... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=41 I've got another book to upload so hang around in time I'll get it in...

He had the trans rebuilt and says they put in a performance torque converter but does not know what it actualy was. The only performance stuff in the rebuild was a shift kit. He is running 150HP injectors, 62 turbo, edge comp, Smarty. It's a 98.5 24 valve. I think he is slipping his converter but for some reason he doesn't think so. I have been trying to get him to take my truck out for a run to give him a baseline feel for how it should be working. Maybe this weekend.