• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok guys new to the forum and looking for some help.

First off ill give some background.

2001 3500 QCLB DRW 24v 6 speed 4x4

Bought the truck about two weeks ago as a NY salvage after wrecking my 99 2500 QCLB 24v 6 speed 4x4

New truck had a dash fire due to supposedly the blower mounter shorting and catching fire. So I stripped the interior completely. The only thing used from the dually was the power door lock motors, power window motors and the power seats. Ii changed every nut, bolt, washer, clip, and harness and hooked up right at the fire wall. All in all the interior swap went smooth with no hiccups or cus words. Buttoned up the interior and now it's time to test all components and still everything goes smooth to my surprise. Now it's time to start the truck. After testing relays fuses and resetting the APPS I crank her over and crank and crank but nothing. I had already checked fuel pressure to the IP so I cracked #1 injector line and nothing. Cracked the rest of the lines and #3 only one squirting. A disappointment but not a loss as the IP in the 2500 only has 3k miles on it so I change the pumps out bleed the lines and try to get her started still non fire without starting fluid bursts and will quickly die.

This is where I'm at I have checked.

Fuel pressure

IP voltage = 12.2 volts with key on and cranking

IP continuity to ground

Fuel shutoff has no power with key on or cranking

Cleaned all grounds I know of

Bleed all injectors except #2

Dumped power for 24 hrs reset everything tried again

Truck also has airdog 2 running at 21lbs even when cranking via test gauge in engine bay watching while cranking

Only code I have is P0230 which I know is transfer pump circuit out of range but I didn't think that would cause a no start in my case

Any help would be appreciated I'm willing to do more tests but I'm out of ideas so I figured I'd ask the cummins gods here

Also sorry of the lengthy post I'm just trying to cover my bases

Thanks

Gage

Thanks guys goin to go down and work on the truck some more. I guess I'll check power at the pump again quick and if that's all good, hot wire time. I did not change the PCM, but if that was the problem would I have a persistent code appear besides p0230?. Fuel pressure is goin to get backed down to 15lbs if it will go down that low till she's running then 17lbs is always my number.

Thanks again guys for your quick replies

Gage

Ok some good news to share. Backed down fuel pressure to 14lbs

Triggered lift pump on wiper fuse in cab ( absolutely awesome idea )

Wire wired pump via blue chip site ( wasn't aware of the valuable step by step procedures on there site. Would have saved me a lot of time staring at schematics )

And she fired ;)

Where to test next guys. ECM? PCM? I have voltage and ground on both the vp plug pins?

Thanks

Gage

If it runs with the pump on the wiper fuse then run it. Fass is the one that actually says to run it this way for hard starts

What way of wiring are you talking about from the blue chip article. I have skimmed through the article but its been awhile

Edited by mopartechnician

I used the blue chip article to hot wire the pump and read through their diagnostic tests. Lift pump trigger wire is goin to stay on the wipe fuse I like that idea. Truck fires with pump hot wired but will not with vp plugged in, I was out of dielectric grease so I picked some up this morning and gonna clean and fill some connectors to rule out issues there.

Also I checked voltage and ground at the vp plug with key on and cranking, but during the cranking test the motor shook me and my meter like a rag doll. My question is if I pull the starter relay or do not depress the clutch and turn the key to start position will I still have vp voltage. I would like to get an absolute positive reading at the plug so I can start tracing the harness.

Gage

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 99 dodge with the same problems and syptoms as injectableaddict66.  I have performed all the procedures on bluechip diesels site, i have taken the lift pump power source away from the ECM.  My truck starts and runs perfectly when "hot wired" even without the intake grid heater.  I have cut the #5 wire at the VP44 plug.    I have switched ECM's from another truck with no change. I have two ECM's which both operate another truck(although its a 245HP). My question is:  what input to the ecm could cause the vp44 to lean out or alter the injection timing enough to cause a complete no start because of no fueling?   Should the truck start and idle(for test purpose) with either the apps or mps or cps disconected and the ecm harness powering the VP44?  

thanks Rich