• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

found out what happened to 5th gear

So, I finally got around to taking my old tranny out, and took the 5th gear cover off to see what had actually happened...this is what I found...good thing I bought a brand new trans instead of just seeing what I needed to replace in 5th gear...

post-693-0-05772600-1402454212_thumb.jpgpost-693-0-33433700-1402454231_thumb.jpgpost-693-0-28899900-1402454248_thumb.jpgpost-693-0-80929900-1402454258_thumb.jpg 

and that's not glitter sparkling in the 1st shot....lol

Edited by dennhop

Mike while I'm not ruling that out as a possibility, I'm more inclined to think the damage started when 3 out of 4 trans bolts backed out of the transmission, and the last one was loose...I think the play from that driving for about a week or so (who knows...I didn't look until I had some weird symptoms of the trans not shifting right and a clunk) may have cause the pilot bearing to waller out, allowing the input shaft room to flex where it shouldn't have...its possible the main shaft went before 5th gear(maybe not) but considering 5th is at the opposite end, it would get the most amount of play due to physics, potentially creating the destruction pictures...again, who knows, but that's my theory right now.