• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tire size question

What's the biggest size tire I can put on a 16" rim?Right now I'm running 265/75/16s but am thinking of either 275s or 285s, will they work or hit the wheel well or anything else? All is stock on m truck, no lift kits or anything like that.Thanks in advance.I think I should have put this in non-powertrain - apologies.

285's are a perfect match for these rigs but they can rub on the lower control arm a little and sometimes on mudflaps depending on the design of them. All depends on if you have factory rims or not also as back spacing can help and or hinder rubbing.

Thanks for the reply. My rims are the factory rims, and don't have mud flaps. What do you mean by the back spacing, i.e. what would you use for that? Thanks again. I still can't believe the stock tires on this truck from the factory were 245s. I went to 265s and they still look small. Buddy at work has 275s which are a little more like it in terms of aesthetics.

The backspacing is the dish of the rim and how deep or how far out of the wheel well they fit. If you have the factory rims they will probably rub just a bit on the lower control arm at full turn but I have just bent the lip of the arm down so it didn't catch the tire, Some tires don't rub it depends on the tread design.

i beleive my 99's stock rims are 16"x7"...

What do you mean by the back spacing, i.e. what would you use for that?

how far the wheel is *recessed* in the wheel well...if it has to much backspacing you rub...spacers are an option...the opisite of backspacing is offset...if you have you much offset...it stresses the bearings.

Thanks again. I still can't believe the stock tires on this truck from the factory were 245s. I went to 265s and they still look small. Buddy at work has 275s which are a little more like it in terms of aesthetics.

i put hummvee rims on the back...they are 16.5x10.5 rims and nearly all backspacing...i am going to have to put spacers on the front to run them...i think the back could go to 35s or 36s. i have had no problems so far...and man, does it help apperances :cool: found this site https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html Edited by guesswho512
add the link

Lone Watie: For what it may be worth to you, I have done a fair bit of experimenting (on my own vehicles) over the years with different tire sizes on the stock rims that came with my vehicles. The vehicles ranged from V.W. bug's to 3/4 ton rated pickup trks. My experimenting focused on only two variables, (1) wether or not I had any gains in fuel economy, (in theory; a taller tire would give you a gain) and (2) wether or not I had any better pulling power, (in theory; a smaller tire would give you a gain). I found that there were so many other variables that presented themselves in these exercises, that I have never been able to find any real definitve answer about the subject, other than this: Generally speaking, any of the gains I did see, was when I had changed ONLY ONE SIZE up or down, depending on the variable (better fuel economy, or better pulling power) I was trying to change. Don't know if this help's you in any ( I know it's a bit off the subject of your question) but I thought I would pass it along for whatever it's worth.

Edited by Hood Latch

You can mount 315/75R-16's on the OEM wheels but there will be issues with lower track bar rubbing and interference making moderately sharp turns. A front suspension leveling kit may help this somewhat. I am currently running BF Goodrich 295/75R-16 All Terrain T/A KO's. These tires will still rub the lower track bar on very sharp turns but not nearly as bad and in my opinion are about the largest I would recommend mounting on a stock truck with stock wheels. These tires are VERY quiet with respect to tread singing road noise and they are a very good compromise tire for a combination of good handing, mud, off road and snow, not to mention weight rating. These by FAR have been the BEST tires I have purchased. I have them on both of our trucks. About the only drawback I would mention is that if you tow a heavy trailer or other load, you will find that the much larger than stock OEM tire diameter will have you shifting between 5th and 6th gear looking for the sweet spot. I purchased mine at Walmart and got the road hazard warranty. http://www.walmart.com/ip/All-Terrain-T-A-KO/12527061 I am off road a good bit and have had a couple of bad experiences with stone cuts in the tread leaving with a flat tire and crappy mud performance with the Walmart Liberator 285/75R-16 tires. 285's in most cases will mount up on OEM wheels without any rubbing issues.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I am thinking of ordering from tirerack and didn't want to find out the hard way they wouldn't fit. I've used tirerack before with some Kumho's which I've really liked, I just didn't rotate them properly and now need some new. I'll have to buy 5 (1 for the spare). Not sure which brand yet, because wasn't sure about the size. I just know I'm tired of seeing these wimpy looking shoes on my truck, and looking for a compromise between too large/mpg/handling, etc.

• Owner

. I just know I'm tired of seeing these wimpy looking shoes on my truck, and looking for a compromise between too large/mpg/handling, etc.

Don't look at my truck then... :rolleyes: I've got 235/85 R16 on mine... Pizza cutters solely for the MPG numbers... Larger tire do produce a few problems... 1. Rolling resistance - Increase 2. Rotational Mass - Increase Wider tires tend to always have a loss due to rolling resistance because of the increase face width contacting the highway. Then the other side of the coin wider tire typically get heavier in weight which adds to the rotational mass which requires more HP/TQ to twist. Yeah I know everyone loves the big tire appeal but if you truely after MPG's you need a smaller, narrower, lighter tires... You might even ask for a rolling resistance index and the weight of each tire and compare to smaller size...

:2cents:the humvee rims are 2 piece steel rims...the tire/wheel combo maybe in the 120# range the overall change in diameter(bout 7or 8%) gets me slightly better mileage when i drive mostly highway. in fact my best tank since ownership was recently with those wheels. when the routes are mostly stop and go...yes i pay the price. like mopar1973man said the pizza cutters would prob be the best of both...but i think these would be to cool:http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=1101016152&statenval=1101016152&productId=2013750&skuId=391799&shopid=100001&pageid=13&TID=BEC00001&utm_source=Become&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-317971%20&zmam=73771597&zmas=21&zmac=61&zmap=317971 :2cents:

• 2 months later...

i am running 285's and just installed a 2 " leveling kit a couple of weeks ago ...doesn't look to bad...guess to fill in the wheel well openings i could do some 315's and mount them on some 3rd gen wheels.how sweet would that be.:drool::spend:mopar is prolly going...white 01..your :cookoo:........:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Don't look at my truck then... :rolleyes: I've got 235/85 R16 on mine... Pizza cutters solely for the MPG numbers... Larger tire do produce a few problems... 1. Rolling resistance - Increase 2. Rotational Mass - Increase Wider tires tend to always have a loss due to rolling resistance because of the increase face width contacting the highway. Then the other side of the coin wider tire typically get heavier in weight which adds to the rotational mass which requires more HP/TQ to twist. Yeah I know everyone loves the big tire appeal but if you truely after MPG's you need a smaller, narrower, lighter tires... You might even ask for a rolling resistance index and the weight of each tire and compare to smaller size...

went with 255/85r16 from a 265/75r16 because of this too try and balance that all out. still need to tally up the numbers to figure out my mpg.

• Owner

i am running 285's and just installed a 2 " leveling kit a couple of weeks ago ...doesn't look to bad...guess to fill in the wheel well openings i could do some 315's and mount them on some 3rd gen wheels.how sweet would that be.:drool::spend:mopar is prolly going...white 01..your :cookoo:........:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Naw... That why under the deck out back I got a set of Cooper STT tires (265/75 R16) on cheap white spoke rims. If I want to play with the big boys I just mount them up. Don't take much to pull out a impact gun and jack up the truck... :tongue:

I'm full of tricks...