• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing Fifth Wheel Hitch

Hi guys,

I was wondering about the installation of 5th wheel hitches on the 2002 3500 duallies - are there any specific problems to watch out for?

I have taken a barely used hitch out of my '86 F250 and want to install it in the Dodge. I do have the spray in Rhino liner in the box if that matters at all.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

mariner

No need for the slider since duallies are long beds.  The only thing I found hard to reach was getting the nuts on the bolts by the fuel tank.  So now I just weld the brackets on.

Edited by ABennin
  • Like 1

I was recently looking at putting a fifth wheel hitch in my 3500.  I already have the gooseneck ball in the bed and the thought of rails was something that I couldn't quite get over.  I ending up getting the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection.  I know everybody has an opinion on fifth wheel adapters but this is different.  This puts the pulling force at the kingpin without inducing torque to the front of the trailer.  http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx.  I know you already have your hitch, but I thought I would chime in and add my 2 cents.  Good luck getting your hitch installed.

For your truck there should be four "L" shaped brackets that have two bolt holes that bolt to the frame (long side) and the short side would have one that the bolt goes through the rail to the bracket. The four outer corners are the one's for the brackets and the four inner holes just bolt to the bed. The way they bolt in will have the pin centered right above the axle. Here are the instructions for the hitch I have: http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/files/Lil_Rocker_Manual.pdf

Thanks for the comments thus far. I didn't realize that the different truck makes require the different approaches - so thank you  very much for the manual.

Still have to remove the L shaped brackets from the F250 frame - not a lot of room under there to work.

Really appreciate comments - Thanks.

Yes, the 3500 has the 8ft bed on it.

mariner