• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No "wait to start indicator"

sngsht

Hey guy's , my "wait to start " indicator quit working a couple days ago. No apparent performance issues, the grid heaters are still cycling like normal ( I can see the voltage pull down a few times when I first light it up). No other apparent engine related symptoms, starts and runs just like she should. 

The only issues I have with it is one of the rear power door locks ceased to function, and occasionally the shift indicator doesnt fully recognize it's in park and sounds the horn when I open the door I just tap the shifter up towards park and that takes care of it so I'm assuming it just needs adjusted.

Anyone have any ideas of where to start looking? i did the self test on it and came up with these codes:

, 282

S 121

C 447

HR 2988

I'm having a little trouble matching them up with anything relevant to this truck or problem? Any help you might have sure would be appreciated!!

Upper 40's in the AM, 60-70 daytime temps. it doesn't come on even when I initially turn the key forward. In the past,It always came on with the other lights for a few seconds during the indicator lamp check , regardless of the temp ..

Yesterday afternoon I disconnected the batteries for 30 minutes and loosened/tightened the ground lead to the ECM and when I started it this afternoon it came on as usual. Hopefully that took care of it , I'll pull the ground lead off and clean it for good measure. :)

• Staff

The 06's won't run the WTS light if intake air temp is above 66°F, my dads can run it once on a cold morning and then not again all day. His grids still cycle, just no light on warm starts. If the engine is warm and it's only shutoff for 8-10 hours and the ambient temp doesn't spend long below 66° the WTS light may not come on.

My 05 runs it every time before starting, sometimes only for 1 second.

I would guess it's normal, you just have never noticed before.

I also seem to recall the 06's don't run the WIF light as a bulb test on startup.

Temps are more than cool enough, it's been in the 40's at night here, high of 55 today lol.. Its always came on briefly with the light check when you turn the key on ,hopefully it was just a glitch and disconnecting the battery fixed it.

Edited by sngsht

Hahahaha feels like it ! Northern Michigan..When I first moved up here, I was completely off grid for about 6 weeks, everyone said there's no way your truck is gonna start in the mornings. This Cummins lit right up every morning, in temps as low as 23 below... Blew the power stroke guys at work away. Lol

Edited by sngsht

This Cummins lit right up every morning, in temps as low as 23 below... Blew the power stroke guys at work away. Lol

Yet those Ford guys still get on their knees and pay homage to the blue oval..............................while secretly wishing they had a 

Cummins under the hood!!

• Staff

Temps are more than cool enough, it's been in the 40's at night here, high of 55 today lol.. Its always came on briefly with the light check when you turn the key on ,hopefully it was just a glitch and disconnecting the battery fixed it.

Hmmm, so far I haven't seem any other 06's that so a bulb check at every key on.

You could have a IAT sensor issue? Telling the ECM the motor is warmer than it is.

If it returns I highly suggest a ultra gauge to help trouble shoot, cheap and lots of info.

Hmmm, so far I haven't seem any other 06's that so a bulb check at every key on.

You could have a IAT sensor issue? Telling the ECM the motor is warmer than it is.

If it returns I highly suggest a ultra gauge to help trouble shoot, cheap and lots of info.

My '04.5 WTSL comes on each time I turn the key....................just depends on outside ambient temperature or the engine temperature as to how long it stays on.

Well the "fix" didn't last long - 15-20 starts and it quit working again. 43 degrees ambient temp this morning and no light, the heaters definitely cycle after it starts, but  I guess I can't say 100% that they are working when I turn the key forward  initially.  The voltmeter pulls way down when I turn the key and it starts pretty much instantly so I'm guessing that they must be cycling with the key- just no indicator.

I guess I'll have to look into the ultra gauge AH-64..  Hoping I don't have a ECM issue, I read a couple threads

in another forum suggesting that this is a early indicator that the ECM is failing . I'm not sure that pertains necessarily to the '06's though since these were  2nd gen threads I believe..