• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

need some thoughts on smarty.

Killer223

I have just aquired a S06POD. i programed my 04. to software 3. drove it a few miles. not much of a differnace. not what i was expecting anyhow.

then went to sw9. now down low i see very little differance, but mid throttle it jumps and runs nice.

I'm compairing this to my older 02. i had an edge comp on that one. and lemme tell you, when you load the skinny peddle it'd set you back in the seat, it pulled hard.

this truck even on 9 i don't feel pulls all that hard. i get very little black smoke. i have not adjusted my waste gate. as i have yet to learn how (pointers welcome). 

before i get flamed to much, i do not have gauges as of yet. i do not know what my rail pressure is. i'm most certain my EGT's are not high as i'm not getting the balck cloud. i have not ran it hard for long distances just in case the EGT's are on the high side. 

does it seem like it's working right? or is something wrong with my truck? no codes,

thoughts please.

Uh smarty on a 3rd gen is insane. You have over 200hp more than a 2nd gen even with comp. I dont know whats wrong but it should be night and day difference. There are two "programmers" that are king on 3rd gens, smarty and efi, this includes any chip.

I had a customer with a bully dog go to a smarty and he had a huge smile on his face on even the lower settings

yeah thats why i got the smarty, but i wasn't imperssed. so. how to start figuring out what it might be. i'ma change fuel filters this weekend when i do oil change. it's gonne be a while till i get gauges. does anyone one have a way to read the Rail pressure? my scangauge 2 does not. maybe reset the apps? how do i go about that.?

If it is a POD I would make sure it is up on level 99, sounds like it may be turned down, if not look through it and let us know what all of the sub settings are. Like said it should be night and day. I just have a Smarty JR POD on my 05 and it is night and day and I have never installed gauges yet on my 05 either and at 115 K miles and about 90K of it with the Smarty JR and if one looks through my thread of myself towing stuff over 30K gross I am not worried at this point anymore, heck still bone stock original tranny yet and still going strong.

All the sub levels are stock catcher settings.

The pod is at 99.

When I checked smart site it's set for 03-07.

I see no option for an 04.5-07 or 03-04. However it is a used one. I reflashed it with the latest revo from smarty.

I'm thinking it's a fuel issue. It's been raining here for a few days now, I'll change filters when it stops.

All the sub levels are stock catcher settings.

The pod is at 99.

When I checked smart site it's set for 03-07.

I see no option for an 04.5-07 or 03-04. However it is a used one. I reflashed it with the latest revo from smarty.

I'm thinking it's a fuel issue. It's been raining here for a few days now, I'll change filters when it stops.

When I bought my Smarty Revo SO6, there was not a Smarty version out yet for the '03-'04 trucks.  John, AH64ID, would know better than I though.  Hopefully he'll chip in here shortly.

My Smarty Revo doesn't "smoke" either just goosing the  throttle while not moving!!!!  Just saying...............................don't know what you were expecting either!!!

The Smarty fuels down low, but you ain't gonna blow smoke until you built some boost.

And please don't "blow smoke", just to "blow smoke"......................................as it make all diesel truck guys look bad in this era of "greenies"!!!!

The only time I "blow smoke" is passing a slower vehicle.  And I "ease" into the throttle.................but once the OEM turbo goes, I can "fog" a road..................not make it impassible!!!!!! 

My truck does not "blot out the sun" with smoke............................but I CAN make it do so.............

Edited by dorkweed
  • Like 1

i'm not a fan of the rolling coal. but i did expect to see some when driving and loading the engine before the turbo spools. i don't get any black smoke. i do have a flow through muffler. i can barely get a puff of the black stuff. the video was SW9 from what youtube and other people have told me it should belch black smoke.

mine does not.

does anyone have advise on what i should start checking?

thanks again.

• Like 1

• Staff

S06 works on 03-07, I think at first it didn't work on 03-04 but that was back in 2006. The S-04 was the first Smarty for the 3rd gen and it only works on 03-05.

No smoke is a GOOD thing, and no smoke at WOT is NOT an indication of EGTs. The HE341 is a FAST spooling turbo, and the tunes are written to try and keep smoke down. Smarty smoke is almost always pre-boost smoke, unless your running too big of a software.

I wonder if you are loading it correctly, it should be a HUGE difference.

How are you loading and changing the software? When you first plug in it are there # signs on the startup screen?

Have you updated it to the lastest software?

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts AH64ID, I did update to latest software, I am loading it correctly right now it sw7 tq3 tm2 rp2

It changes things but not like I expected. It doesn't set you back in the seat like my 02 with an edge on 3 would.

The trans is not slipping, again it never puffs black smoke not even a little...

I think I have a fueling issue. But maybe not. Idk.

• Staff

It appears you are loading it correctly. Is it taking ~5 minutes when you load?

It shouldn't be asking you about a WG unless you have an 04.5. If it's truly a 250 or 305hp 04.0 there is something wrong.

I also don't recommend those settings on a stock auto trans, or you will get a new one VERY quickly with TQ on 3. TQ on 2 is even a crap shoot depending on your right foot. I would run SW3 TM2 TQ1 RP1 with a stock auto and drive nice.

So lets verify the motor hp off the engine as well.

it's a 305 HP.  or 04 HO. i know i'm not stressing the trans much. i'm well seasoned enough to know better.

i'm very easy with my right foot.

when i first accelerate from a stop weather i ease into it or stomp on it. it does not smoke. it does run a little harder mid to upper rpm. not the low end grunt smartys are known for.

what's my next step.?

• Staff

it's a 305 HP.  or 04 HO. i know i'm not stressing the trans much. i'm well seasoned enough to know better.

i'm very easy with my right foot.

when i first accelerate from a stop weather i ease into it or stomp on it. it does not smoke. it does run a little harder mid to upper rpm. not the low end grunt smartys are known for.

what's my next step.?

The next step is to find out why the Smarty thinks your 04 is an 04.5, I would PM BrianAtSmarty and get his thoughts.

You may be easy with your right foot but the decreased tq management means less pedal for the same effect and less pedal means lower pressures in the 48RE. I would set the tq back to 1, or 2 at the most.

What are the conditions of your filters? Have you checked for LP pressure?