• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A less than good experience w/ Cummins parts and some needed part #'s

O.K. so I'm chasing a hard start issue and apparently a little air leak seems to be the kryptonite to the mighty Cummins. Everyone says replace sealing washers, connector tube O-rings and the return T. In my searching I've found many don't know where to get the parts and when they find out they come from Cummins they don't know the part numbers. I got on Cummins quick serve which I found difficult to navigate and finally found the parts and #'s, and added them to my cart. Trying to check out all I got was some Java bla,bla,bla message. I'm no IT guy and you should not have to be to use a website. I found out they have a central warehouse 50 mi. from me so I called them direct. 3 of the 6 numbers I gave off of Quickserve were no longer valid so we got that fixed. After 3 days waiting I called and it appears the CS guy lost my CC#. I reordered, and parts came next day. I was told I had to order the whole return T fitting to get the seals inside. The T fitting came with no seals. So I called and waited..........................and waited..........................and waited ect. and finally got someone and got cut off. This happened twice. After an hour on the phone I got it straightened out and will hopefully get the seals for the weekend which I set aside 2 weeks ago to hopefully fix this x0!@#$% truck. So to save the next guy the frustration I went through I am posting some part #'s. This should be pinned in  my opinion but that's up to Mike.

12mm sealing washer-- 3963983

14mm sealing washer--3963988

return T fitting--3905353

seals for return T-- 3905351

crossover tube O-rings--3867043

VP 44 overflow valve-- 3941156

I hope no one ever has this air leak fiasco that leaves you pulling your hair out wondering what to do next, but in searching it is not uncommon at all.Hopefully one of these will fix my issue which I will report on in  my other post. If and when you do experience this I hope these numbers will help ease the pain a little.

my experience  with any brand of engine  is  the  same...  as they get older and older,  more  part # superseding  happens...  meanwhile  before you know it,   parts  guys  haven't a clue..  unless you luck out and  happen to   get a parts guy who has   been sitting  there for 20 plus years, and  can grab the part  without  even looking it up.

Thanks for the new #'s!

• Like 1

• Staff

I find that it's the type of people they hire now a days. They probably feel it's too much extra effort to help someone that requires more work than the normal.

I got a lumber yard that goes out of their way for me and even though I know some of their pricing is higher I still support them due to their service above and beyond.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Just the opposite experience. Doing a HX35 turbo mod and needed the gasket between the ex outlet and the wastegate. A Holset turbo item. After looking everywhere, even turbo rebuilders, I called Cummins West. Got a lady in parts that knew she had to look in the Holset cat. for the part. Found it at the San Leandro Cummins west and had it to me in two days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my CC bill today. That's the only way to know what Cummins charges for the parts they sell because it's not on the invoice. For the three 1/4 inch long pcs. of  5/16 id x 1/2od diesel rated tubing which they call grommets for the return line T it was $47.40. That's like $60 per inch. I don't care how loyal you are to the brand. That's just unfair. So if you are looking to reseal your return line T fitting FYI.

Just got my CC bill today. That's the only way to know what Cummins charges for the parts they sell because it's not on the invoice. For the three 1/4 inch long pcs. of  5/16 id x 1/2od diesel rated tubing which they call grommets for the return line T it was $47.40. That's like $60 per inch. I don't care how loyal you are to the brand. That's just unfair. So if you are looking to reseal your return line T fitting FYI.

Perkins  uses  that  type of  sealing too...  they call it   ' compressive O-ring'   nothing  'O'  about it...   it's  a  slice of   rubber tube!    I've   used   many many    inches  of  spare  fuel line  for these  type of  connections  over the years

That's what I'll do next time. I just wanted to mention it to save someone else about $45 if they need to replace their seals. They actually measure .315 x .472 but I think 1/2 will work.

The little slice of tubing is expensive because they have to stock it for those that have not learned the lesson. Cut your own. Sorry, your day in the learning bucket. I have had many of those days in 73 years. :rolleyes:

The little slice of tubing is expensive because they have to stock it for those that have not learned the lesson. Cut your own. Sorry, your day in the learning bucket. I have had many of those days in 73 years. :rolleyes:

If someone could have told me the size I would have cut my own. I had no idea what was inside til I had it apart. Now that someone (me) has posted it the next guy won't need a day in the learning bucket, at least not on this subject.