• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacement Alternator

Mike I cleaned grounds again yesterday and test drove. No symptoms now. I just checked the alternator per your video exactly. My meter is reading 0.02-0.03 back and forth. Is this too high? I went to Napa and had them bench test a brand new alternator and it was putting out 0.03 to 0.04 so I didn't buy it.  I've been driving the truck all morning still with no symptoms. Do you think I should continue my search for a new alternator? I went ahead and had them order a reman for me just in case that will be here around lunch.

Another thing is I'm using a decent DVM but it is not a Fluke True RMS meter. What are the chances that my meter could be slightly off?

If you cleaned the grounds and all is well you probably don't need an alternator.

Yeah going on long trip this weekend. Thinking run it. If symptoms come back pull alternator fuse and see what happens. If that clears it up then I know for sure and I can go back on the hunt for an alternator. By the way did the wire twist on speed sensor that you suggested and no skips so far. Thanks.

• Owner

0.00 VAC is PREFECT DC power. This would be with the truck not running at all.

0.01 VAC Excellent (Rare to see)

0.02 VAC Still really good

0.03 VAC Good

0.04 VAC Good

0.05 VAC OK but marginal

0.10 VAC Failed.

I've done some random testing on vehicles to see where most normal number land. typically 0.02 to 0.04 about normal.

0.00 VAC is PREFECT DC power. This would be with the truck not running at all.

0.01 VAC Excellent (Rare to see)

0.02 VAC Still really good

0.03 VAC Good

0.04 VAC Good

0.05 VAC OK but marginal

0.10 VAC Failed.

I've done some random testing on vehicles to see where most normal number land. typically 0.02 to 0.04 about normal.

Thank you for that. Gives me a little piece of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

you mean..... there is even lower grade stuff out there?? geeezzz I gotta really start watching the boxes!

but dang it, I'd LOVE to buy USA!! It's soooooo hard to find anymore!

If I can make something and not buy it, I do. That way I can say made in USA. Like many parts on my truck, and house.