• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

p1693 mil fault in companion module

I'm having a problem again with torque converter lockup I think. Symptoms are different though. I can be driving 70 and for a split second its like it misses then goes back to normal. Sometimes at 30-40 trans shifts back and forth. When this started I got an apps code cleared it and did the apps reset but didn't accomplish anything. The alternator I had rebuilt the first time was putting out 0.1v ac but now it jumps from 0.12 to 0.34 so I know that's a problem. I borrowed a snap-on verus to do some diag and I get a p1693 fault in companion module. There are no other codes showing up and I can't clear this one. I've cleaned all grounds and connections. Any ideas?

You might try rechecking the codes. As far as I know, it is pretty impossible to have the 1693 code with out another code. You might try the key trick to see if you get anything else. Maybe that snappy is only seeing one computer?? I am not sure. Turn the key on and off three times, leaving it on the third time. Have a pen and pad ready to write codes down. Watch the odometer and the codes will be listed off both the ECM and PCM, so make sure you wait until all the codes have been read for both.

I tried the key trick but nothing happens. I read that you can't have just that code either but I've scanned it with three different scanners and its the only code I can get. If I need to take it to the dealer I will but I just want someone to confirm that they will be able to find it with the dealer scanner.

That trans problem sound a good bit like the speed sensor on the side of the transmission. It has two wires and tells the PCM what the speed of the trans is. The connectors have been known to loosen up and momentarily loose connection. When the connection is lost the transmission wants to down shift or if starting out it will not even upshift. Try pulling the plug and twist the wires a round or two then plug it back in. If it takes care of the "miss for a split second" then you know you found the problem.

• Like 1