• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil smoke

Just a quick question, how much oil could one potentially lose through a worn out turbo? I am now going through about a quart every 600-800 miles. Its getting pretty bad. I know I have some play in the turbo shaft. Not enough to let it contact the housing yet but more than I would like. As far as I know the turbo has never been opened and I just crossed 235k miles on the truck.

short answer? Plenty!

If it (oil) winds up on the compressor side, that is where you get 'runaway' situation... The engine is getting enough 'fuel' from the oil vapor and is chugging along. When it pukes into the turbine side, it's blue smoke galore. Turbos have a seal on each side, Usually it's the HOT side that goes away first.. heat cooks em down faster there.

As seals get stiff, worn, or otherwise close to 'going south'.. a lot of times they'll only leak when pressure is gone. Upon repressurization, they'll snap back to attention.

Might be what's going on with Mikes here.

• Like 1

• Owner
As seals get stiff, worn, or otherwise close to 'going south'.. a lot of times they'll only leak when pressure is gone. Upon repressurization, they'll snap back to attention.

Might be what's going on with Mikes here.

But now its not leaking/burning a drop of oil it still just how I filled it. Slightly over-filled.

I run about 2 quart every 5k but I only change my oil 8 to 10 k. I noramally starts to burn quart ever couple weeks at that point. I blow my turbo up last year. I was putting oil In it every week and I had was blue smoke on start up till it got warm. I lost my turbo pulling pass with trailer on. I am almost 350k right now after the turbo failed it stop burning it.