• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Destroyed a turbo with a hose clamp

• Owner
:duh::doh::banghead:Yeah gang... I destroyed my turbo with a wire hose clamp. post-2-138698196468_thumb.jpg During my oil change and boost leak fixing I laid my BHAF on the workbench and inadvertently knocked a wire hose clamp in the BHAF from the peg board above. Installed the filter and took a ride. Boost kept getting lower and EGT rising whistle changed big time. Hua?! Went home to find the first pic and the 2 ears of the clamp in the BHAF. The rest of the ring I'm hoping is in the intercooler. :pray:Engine still runs fine... So I need a turbo... First and foremost.I know that S#!7 happens but man this make me sick... :sick:

post-2-138698196457_thumb.jpg

Ahh, thats no good bub. I did the same thing once, but with a rag. I still had my factory air box at the time, pulled the filter to replace it and was cleaning the bottom of the box out while I had it apart. I dropped the new filter in, and somehow ( I still dont know how or why) I must have set the rag on top of the filter and at that point got side tracked. Came back a few minutes later, threw the lid on clamped it down and jumped in to take off. As you can imagine it sucked the rag right up and into the turbo. It completely blocked the air flow off, I had no power whatsoever. To make matters worse I didnt put 2 and 2 together and I screwed with it for hours before I figured it out. Yep, makes ya feel like a real dunce :ashamed:Whats your plans for a replacement?

• Owner

So far both vendors I've talked to have been nice enough to admit I need to upgrade. (KT Performance & GOS Performance)So far GOS Performance seem to have the winning price so far for a PhatShaft 62/70Second in line is KT Performance with Diesel Power Source 64/65/12 I could also buy a use HX35W for $250 buck but both vendor suggest against because of my current mods.Still waiting for DAP and Walt at FTE to call back... Any other suggestions?

I can tell you from experience with several different turbos and knowing what you use your rig for and the territory and I can say I would not go with even a 62/70 as it is going to be very lazy and smokey in them thar hills, Definately stick close to what you have now, Or a Super B at max, a 62/70 is too much for your needs and current fuel.

• Owner

I can tell you from experience with several different turbos and knowing what you use your rig for and the territory and I can say I would not go with even a 62/70 as it is going to be very lazy and smokey in them thar hills, Definately stick close to what you have now, Or a Super B at max, a 62/70 is too much for your needs and current fuel.

Point me to a link of a product you suggest so I can see it... :shrug:

BD super B, 58/65/14. I ran this with 90 hp injectors and it was lazy & lagy and hot compared to the stock hy with wastegate linkage hook and comp on my 02. I think the Super B would work with RV injectors or 40-60 hp sticks and comp, 90 hp was a bit much. You are not going to have enough fuel to run a PS62/70 :2cents:http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/3P http://dieselperformance.com/pdf/BD_Single_Street-Tow_Turbos.pdf

• Like 1

Don't you hate it when someone assumes your like them. But I think a lot of people on this site are like each other. We like to work on em and keep them running good, and that's how they treat us once in a while. Sorry mike. Selfishly though, I'm waiting to see what you do about it cause if I ever need to replace I'm doing what your doing. I'm sure you feel the pressure so make a good choice for us. Just kidding, but not really. Really though I'm sorry that happened.

I nearly sucked a rag up a few weeks ago. I was messing with the pcm or something and pulled my BHAF off and put it in the backseat of my car and put a rag over my turbo. I got busy with something else and forgot about finishing what I had started and went to start the truck. Luckily, I never plugged the pcm back in either or that rag would have been eatin by a hungry turbo.:doh:

I think we've all made mistakes... some more costly than others... but if we admit out screw ups perhaps others can learn from our mistakes. At least it's a way to salvage some benifit from it. At 60+ years, I've had a lifetime of bonehead moves to learn from!

• Like 1