• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter front

I never thought the grill covers did anything, and after testing I was right.  Two 10* days of starting it and instantly taking off (nicely), and the warm up times were identical.  I can't remember and I can't find the thread but I think I covered the entire radiator with cardboard when I tested it.  I am still under the logic that the radiator isn't used until the thermostat opens, so blocking it does nothing when the engine is circulating only the water within it, not the water in the radiator.  I would think the wind would be minimal on the engine because the grill, radiators, etc, are slowing down the air and then it isn't enough of a gust on the engine to really take any of the heat away from it.  

I think if you guys timed it rather than assumed it was heating up faster, you would be surprised.  Thinking something works tweaks your mind a little, but a stopwatch always tells the truth.  

• Owner

For me its not exactly the warm up time its the IAT temperature I'm after. I tend to aim for 100-140*F as much as possible. Since I drive efficiently for the most part the warm up time is always extended. Takes about 8-10 miles from cold to full 190*F every time regardless of the grill covered or not. But with the grill covered I do see more of 195-197*F coolant temps in the winter vs. 185-188*F without in minus weather. Also on the IAT I see roughly a 10-20*F gain vs without the cover.

For me its not exactly the warm up time its the IAT temperature I'm after. I tend to aim for 100-140*F as much as possible. Since I drive efficiently for the most part the warm up time is always extended. Takes about 8-10 miles from cold to full 190*F every time regardless of the grill covered or not. But with the grill covered I do see more of 195-197*F coolant temps in the winter vs. 185-188*F without in minus weather. Also on the IAT I see roughly a 10-20*F gain vs without the cover.

Isn't this the purpose of your IAT fooler? ISX has a valid point the grill inserts don't really do as much as one would think, which is why the OEM utilizes the covers like TFaoro posted. It is not recommended to tow heavy with them all buttoned up, some common sense has to be used but when running light they are quite a bit more efficient than the inserts. My brother in law runs a factory Mopar front on his 6.7 in Wyoming, even climbing from 7100 feet to 9500+ from Laramie to the cabin near the WYCOLO Lodge with the 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer the temps stayed in check. Much heavier than that and I'm guessing you would have to open it up more, but they are quite adjustable for all styles of driving.

• Owner
Isn't this the purpose of your IAT fooler?

Partially. The other part is physical warm air getting to the engine. Might not be as warm but still warmer than minus what ever.

It is not recommended to tow heavy with them all buttoned up

All my problem are just common driving here in Idaho no towing. I always remove the covers from the grill if towing because now over heat does occur with both IAT and ECT. Remember climbing grade are not done at 65-70 MPH they are done at much slower speeds with winter conditions so pyrometer heat can be present and climb quite high on some grade once again no towing. (1,000 to 1,100*F)

I never thought the grill covers did anything, and after testing I was right.  Two 10* days of starting it and instantly taking off (nicely), and the warm up times were identical.  I can't remember and I can't find the thread but I think I covered the entire radiator with cardboard when I tested it.  I am still under the logic that the radiator isn't used until the thermostat opens, so blocking it does nothing when the engine is circulating only the water within it, not the water in the radiator.  I would think the wind would be minimal on the engine because the grill, radiators, etc, are slowing down the air and then it isn't enough of a gust on the engine to really take any of the heat away from it.  

I think if you guys timed it rather than assumed it was heating up faster, you would be surprised.  Thinking something works tweaks your mind a little, but a stopwatch always tells the truth.  

LOL,  next time it's  10*   ,    pop the hood,  and  put your bare  hand  on the  engine dipstick,  and  with your  other hand,   crack the throttle to about  1500 rpm.    Pull your     trusty stopwatch out  and    tell us when you've had enough!      I'd speculate   30 seconds..      

I dunno about yours,  but  my fan  really doesn't  'break loose'  for several miles  upon a cold start up.    She's  pumping   quite a bit of air.   After that,   seems  to freewheel  ok.

You're correct though,   a  closed  'stat  (ie  good  condition)      is  the same effect  as  a   totally  covered  cooling system...   Right up until the truck  starts to move!   All bets are off then.

Covers  and  initial warm up?   nah,  just as you said...  not much effect.       Running into a   50 mph  headwind  with   10 below   ambient?    Oh heck ya!

They'd  even be  good for   guys  running around town,   lots of  shut downs/start ups...   the cover would help hold  what little heat is in the  radiator.

Edited by rancherman