• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter front

• Owner

This month I be putting my Winter Fronts in. I'm seeing 40*F in the mornings and barely breaking over 70*F during the day. So I run from October to April with my winter fronts. What you want to watch is the IAT temps as long as your hitting about 100-140*F your optimal for fuel mileage below that you lose roughly 1 MPG for even 10 degree drop.

• Owner

A big piece of cardboard between the radiator and the intercooler. I cut a circle out of the middle with the rest of the radiator being completely covered. 

Be very careful it very possible to get some really hot temps. (IAT and/or Coolant)

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/135-winter-fronts-for-dodge-cummins-trucks

Be very careful it very possible to get some really hot temps. (IAT and/or Coolant)

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/135-winter-fronts-for-dodge-cummins-trucks

If you are working it, maybe, but at 40* I have not seen anything that would give cause for alarm even when idling.

I haven't seen that article before. Interesting thoughts! But I have never had my engine coolant temps raise above 200 even at 50deg ambient temps running 75mph. EGT temps have never changed when I put it in either. The IAT I am unsure of, but I recently picked up a scan gauge and will find out the results!

http://www.genosgarage.com/DODGE-RAM-WINTER-GRILLE-COVER-94-02/productinfo/WINTER_FR_9402/#.VC9A9_ldWSo Even this cover goes right up against the condenser and intercooler....

• Owner

Back when I did that article I cover just as shown and watch coolant temps get out of hand. But I tend to favor the grill cover more so because of the air gap and the ability of the fan to lock and cool again. Yes I do hear the fan lock up and cool things down once in awhile when climbing around in the mountains. Geno's might be fine for flat landers but I won't want to try it up here.

oa7sr4.jpg

Back when I did that article I cover just as shown and watch coolant temps get out of hand. But I tend to favor the grill cover more so because of the air gap and the ability of the fan to lock and cool again. Yes I do hear the fan lock up and cool things down once in awhile when climbing around in the mountains. Geno's might be fine for flat landers but I won't want to try it up here.

oa7sr4.jpg

Colorado is far from flat!!  :gun: We may not have 16% grades but we do get pretty steep!  7% grade at 10,500ft + with two snowmobiles a trailer and gear on back without overheating issues. Like I said Highest coolant temperatures seen have been right around 200deg. I think I am going to buy the cover and post up some results for informational purposes when winter comes around... Oh and I guess I need the truck back from paint first too  :doh:

• Owner

Colorado is far from flat!!  :gun: We may not have 16% grades but we do get pretty steep!  7% grade at 10,500ft + with two snowmobiles a trailer and gear on back without overheating issues. Like I said Highest coolant temperatures seen have been right around 200deg. I think I am going to buy the cover and post up some results for informational purposes when winter comes around... Oh and I guess I need the truck back from paint first too  :doh:

Well now Colorado isn't even close to flat just as lumpy and Idaho is. But someone in Midwest could easily run a full cover like that. But after a few close calls here I've given up on the full cover idea. I know the Geno's allows for openings to added for ventilation or adjust how much. So we'll see how you fair on this. Matter of fact I'll be putting mine on tomorrow morning darn cold here in the mornings at 32-35*F and taking several miles to even get heat.

I'll be picking the truck up a week from tomorrow  :hyper: I probably shouldn't promise that I will buy a cover just yet.. Guess I'll have to check the bank account after paying for paint :doh: Between school and this truck I don't think I'll ever have any money....

Well now Colorado isn't even close to flat just as lumpy and Idaho is. But someone in Midwest could easily run a full cover like that. But after a few close calls here I've given up on the full cover idea. I know the Geno's allows for openings to added for ventilation or adjust how much. So we'll see how you fair on this. Matter of fact I'll be putting mine on tomorrow morning darn cold here in the mornings at 32-35*F and taking several miles to even get heat.

:lmao:  :lmao2:  :lol: Steep grades for short distances or 4-5 miles long medium grades with a 30+mph head wind and 25K+ gross loads hmmmm? :think:

We have lots of rough country in my part of the state with lots of hills and long grades.

I just run grill inserts myself, helped more on the old 02 than the 05 which is super cold blooded if no load behind her.

Off topic but I remember reading a thread a few weeks back where you posted the elevation of your house and it was real close to the same elevation as my area at roughly 2200+- a couple hundred feet above sea level around the west half of the state.

I used to block most of the radiator on other vehicles...  But it didn't do much unless the closure was total...  And it also blocked flow through all coolers & such. 

I cut out plastic panels which I bolt though the grill.  The holes in the bumper remain open.  I think it creates a warmer environment without totally blocking air flow...  more like a closed loop where the warmer air stays under the hood. 

It's not cold enough here to put the full winter front in...  coming soon!