• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen front breaks on 2nd gen

• Owner

I still kind of chuckle with these brake upgrades.

There is a trade off for gaining the braking power which in turn add cost to operation of the truck. 17" tires are typically more expensive than any 16" tire. Then the brake pads themselves aren't much different in price. Considering I'm closing in on 1/4 of million miles and only done 1 brake job so far and travel mountain road with grades that do exceed 16%. I even visit the big cities of Ontario Oregon, Boise Idaho and Lewiston Idaho. So it not like I never see stop and go traffic either. But I will say a exhaust brake is a better upgrade than 3rd Gen brakes IMHO...

But you have manual transmission and exhaust brake. Us auto transmission drivers face different set of circumstances. I typically pop my transmission into neutral when braking hard. We rely on brakes all the time and limited shifting to slow and automatics don't generally have exhaust brakes without some kind of transmission modifications. Short search on 47re and exhaust brakes netted questionable results without significant transmission modifications. Tears em up. So back to 3rd gen brakes seem more feasible.

• Owner

Ok. So how am I doing on the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500? It's a 46RE automatic with 3.55 gears? Still go up and down the same roads with it too without eating brake pads up. Now you really got to think harder... When I bought that truck back in 2001 used I've never done a brake job yet. So that includes hauling trailers and firewood too with that truck.

post-1-0-91796700-1434581017_thumb.jpg