• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen front breaks on 2nd gen

Sounds like a lot of people done this, and my breaks are wearing fin. Does anyone know a place to get (5093268 AA and 5093270 AA front caliper brackets). Aside from dealer, I tried researching it but did not come up with much. I think I might buy pads and rotors from local parts store as they have life time warranty on most of their stuff, but brackets might be not as easy to find. Any help appreciated.

Not sure why there would be a core charge on a part like that but if they are the correct part I don't see why not just a hunk of cast steel so quality shouldn't be an issue unlike rebuilt components from cardone which I have not had good luck with personally.

If I understood right these are reman dodge parts, maybe sandblasted and painted. Not sure where they get used parts maybe junkyard. I got some coming I will take a good look at them and post back. I bought brake calipers before that were reman and you could still see dodge amblem stamped in it. I had them on truck for 3 years now so far no problems. My old ones didn't let go fast enought and breaks would get hot and smoking. It was $25 a caliper after core and lifetime warranty.. I hope these brackets will be fine and if I don't like them I'll take them back and order mopar ones.

• Owner

It allows you to gain just a bit more braking force because of the larger diameter rotors that are used. But this mod requires the change of wheels and tires as well to 17".

I tend to look at if from another angle of the increased mass of axle parts you just losing MPG's over it. But that's me.

The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration

It's all bout that leverage, bout that leverage, bout that leverage...... LOL Now that'll be stuck in your head all day.

1/2 inch more of aluminum further from the center point of the axle & whatever the diameter difference in rotor size X.5 equals more rotating mass. It may make a slight difference. May be measurable, may not.

Ed

Edited by Yankneck696

I heard 30% increase over 2nd gen, and if I pull a trailer with no trailer breakers few times I almost got pushed though an intersection. So hopefully this will help. But if I drove like an old man probably wouldn't matter. Plus I noticed I got some heat cracks on pads from abusing them. To me it's a cheap upgrade, I need pads and rotors anyway what's another $60 for brackets.

Just did my upgrade few days ago, pads are not wore to new rotors yet but I can tell difference already. And what a difference it is when you put pads side by side. I got brackets from orily parts store they were $23 a pice plus $5 core, one of them was original dodge with numbers and Chrysler stamp and the other was brand new with new machined surfaces. I think Chrysler one is used and sandblasted and new one is from china. But both fit perfect and are beefy. I didn't realize how wore my pads were and rotors had pretty deep grove on both sides and huge lips. Had to clean and grease sliders really good. I highly recommend this to anyone that is going to change rotors and pads, what's another $60 for brackets, no need for calipers. Get it done you won't regret it, and when you look at it side by side you'll wonder why you didn't get it done sooner.

It allows you to gain just a bit more braking force because of the larger diameter rotors that are used. But this mod requires the change of wheels and tires as well to 17".

I tend to look at if from another angle of the increased mass of axle parts you just losing MPG's over it. But that's me.

The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration

I look at it that way too only when you get them spinning it helps like big tiers I got on my toy I can let off gas and they still turn for a while :)

Yes that should be the case

now I'll throw a wrench out there how bout older trucks meaning 96 to I believe 2000-2001 where the rotor was bolted on the hub from the back.  can we physically upgrade these years of truck without changing the axle?  or does the bolted on rotor not matter?  

Edit: apologies not to hijack just hoping to add clarification on this upgrade 

Edited by MoparFreak1988
  • Like 1

this mod only works, tmk, on trucks with outboard mounted rotors, ie dont need to remove the wheel bearing to replace the rotor. 

to do the entire swap tou need:

2 disc setup:

• 2 rotors for 3rd gen, i used 2003 ram 2500 as refrence
  • 1 set of pads for 3rd gen, again same truck.
  • 1 front left, and 1 front right caliper mounting bracket, also for same truck.

4 disc setups with rear drum park brakes should consider replacing the parking brakes while in there...

• you will need 2 front and 2 rear rotors for 3rd gen trucks
  • you will need 1 set of front and 1 set of rear brake pads
  • and you will need 1 front left, 1 front right, and 2 rear caliper mounting brakets

that is all the required parts.  i am getting ready to do this swap this weekend, and ordered my caliper brackets from rockauto.com for ~$77.  i bought the powerstop truck and tow brake kit from SummitRacing.com for pads and rotors and it was ~560 shipped.  you can likely save ~$100 if you go with house brand parts at a box autoparts store, however i wanted the best brakes i could get.  i will also be purchasing disc brake pin lube and parking brake shoes and hardware kit from advance auto for ~$50 just incase the park brakes look worn and need replacement.

i will take pictures of the swap when it is done and as i go through it.  and they will be posted to my truck mods page in the garage feature on here.

brad

• Like 2

So just to understand this better, all you had to do was change the mounting brackets? New rotors and pads of course, but you were able to reuse the stock calipers?

Yes and need 17" rims to clear, if your local parts store don't have caliper brackets partsgeek.com has them, everything i got was for 2004 model to be safe.
  • Like 1

Yes that should be the case

now I'll throw a wrench out there how bout older trucks meaning 96 to I believe 2000-2001 where the rotor was bolted on the hub from the back. can we physically upgrade these years of truck without changing the axle? or does the bolted on rotor not matter?

Edit: apologies not to hijack just hoping to add clarification on this upgrade

That I don't know, I just researched my truck. I would think its possible but will take more work, and spacing might be off.

• 6 months later...

this mod only works, tmk, on trucks with outboard mounted rotors, ie dont need to remove the wheel bearing to replace the rotor.

to do the entire swap tou need:

2 disc setup:

• 2 rotors for 3rd gen, i used 2003 ram 2500 as refrence
  • 1 set of pads for 3rd gen, again same truck.
  • 1 front left, and 1 front right caliper mounting bracket, also for same truck.
4 disc setups with rear drum park brakes should consider replacing the parking brakes while in there...
  • you will need 2 front and 2 rear rotors for 3rd gen trucks
  • you will need 1 set of front and 1 set of rear brake pads
  • and you will need 1 front left, 1 front right, and 2 rear caliper mounting brakets
that is all the required parts. i am getting ready to do this swap this weekend, and ordered my caliper brackets from rockauto.com for ~$77. i bought the powerstop truck and tow brake kit from SummitRacing.com for pads and rotors and it was ~560 shipped. you can likely save ~$100 if you go with house brand parts at a box autoparts store, however i wanted the best brakes i could get. i will also be purchasing disc brake pin lube and parking brake shoes and hardware kit from advance auto for ~$50 just incase the park brakes look worn and need replacement.

i will take pictures of the swap when it is done and as i go through it. and they will be posted to my truck mods page in the garage feature on here.

brad

You get your mod done yet?