• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well someone gave me a Cummins engine for free today....

As the title states, someone gave me a Cummins engine for free.... the gent is an old friend of mine and having to move out of a warehouse where he has been storing years of stuff, from MIG airplane parts to just plain misc stuff.

He told me about this last week and I drove over with the trailer and we loaded it up today. Its a Cummins 6BT5.9-g5 engine. Fairly complete but it has some "ventilation" in each side of the block where a connecting rod came loose.

Reason I wanted it was hoping that it had an injection pump and giblets that might be worth saving, then would just scrap the rest. Getting it back to the shop I find that it is evidently a "stationary running" engine used for a water pump or generator, so not sure if much would be worth keeping. 

It has a Stanadyne 627-5432 pump on it along with the fuel lines, injectors and so on. 

Anyone have any idea what bits might be worth saving on this engine? I know that not much will work on my 24 valve engine but was wondering if this head, if still good, might fit on a normal 12 valve head and be of some use to someone?  Whatever is left I will just scrap but wanted to check with this forum and see before I do this.

Thx, 

FT

The cam may be different from an automotive application but the crank and the remaining rods could be salvaged as well as the head and entire front gear case. Injectors could be used as cores, in short about the only thing I would scrap is the block and bad rod.

• Like 1