• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cleaning engine compartment?

I am embarrassed to show anyone what lurks under the hood of my truck. Have had a few suggestions, but think it would be good to get this out for everyone.

Good products for soaking off grime and grease? I've heard that Simple Green works well (Jag1 says).

Concerns about power washer use under the hood?

• Owner

This is what we use at work for cleaning engine bays. Works really good.

http://www.reordersuperclean.com/

Another favorite but not as strong as Super Clean.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Citrus-Heavy-Duty-Degreaser-ZUCIT128/100676344

Then blow it all off with a 3,000 PSI power washer. Stays pretty clean that way. :wink:

I can't say how well it works, as I've never done it any other way.  But I use purple power and a pressure washer and that works fine.  Never had any issues with the water.  Just try to keep the water jet away from seals, sensors, and plugs.  One trick I found on really greasy items.  Take a whatyamicallit and put it inline with the hose going to the pressure washer.  Then fill it will your favorite grease tackling solution and have at it.

I like to fill a  garden sprayer  with  almost undiluted product such as   simple green,  purple power..  Even  really good luck with Dawn dish soap and  half water.  Hose it down  and let it  sit!   you'd be surprised  at  how far  a gallon will go  when not  squirted  @  2000 psi!

I'd say 'go to the car wash'  but  then you'll have a hot engine,  something  you shouldn't   be spraying with water.. even  hot water from their nozzle.       I suppose  if you washed the outside of the truck first,   the engine  may  cool down some by then.

My pressure washer @ home is packed away for the  winter!    I got a  3000 psi  job that'll cut a  fan belt, or  radiator hose  into  shreds.

Edited by rancherman

LOL,  remember the product called  'gunk'??       I bought a can   30 years ago,  and  as  soon as I sprayed it,  my Dad  walked by and  said... Hmmpf.    " nuttin but kerosene"     ( works  like  a  charm as  an engine cleaner... but be very careful  where  it runs off to, or into!!!)   ie;  Mom's  rose  garden...  :ashamed:

• Owner

Yeah, I was thinking of getting one of those flexible tips for getting under, etcetera. I have my own power warsher. 1 gallon garden sprayers are pretty cheap too.

Be careful with flexible neck or bent neck wands. You still have to maintain distance from particular things like cooler and radiators. Bossman down at the shop has a bent neck wand and thought he could use it to help clean out a A/C condenser but it was still way to close and the power washer was folding the fins over flat. Like myself for under truck work I wait for warmer days and use the slope of the yard. So crawl under from the high side and start spraying the low side as much as possible and work my way out. Then flip the truck around and start over again. This allows to hit both sides of the frame and body without laying in a puddle of water. Don't get me wrong your still going to get wet but your not going to lay in a puddle.