Me78569

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

564 posts in this topic

No polarity on the speed sensor.

More than likely your issue is due to the pin needed on the can bus shield.  Some use pin 9 some use pin 10.

What can bus shield did you get?

its a seeedstudio v1.0  03/06/2013

The code you posted an image of shows that you are trying to setup the canbus shield on pin 9.  The early seeedstudio boards used pin 10.  

I would verify your board is using pin 10 then change the can channel to be pin 10 

First tab line 23

Change

MCP CAN1 (9);       //Create CAN Channel

To

MCP CAN1 (10);       //Create CAN Channel

That should make your turbo start responding.  

Yes, so I tried it with 10 in that line and tried reversing the can bus wires to see if that's wrong... but still no response....my next step i was going to try it on pin 9 and try that.....is it normal to have the can.h define statement in black or should it be amber like the other define statements? 

Hi Again, I am only getting back to this project now.........so to update i finally got my turbo to respond, only thing thats worked for me is copy and pasting the text version of the code on page 1 of the thread. So im guessing that version has been updated since??,For the moment My present issue is when potactive is selected and i turn the pot the turbo actuator jumps from 20cm to 6 cm suddenly,  seems to move smoothly from 25 to 20cm, then jumps....no proportional adjustment from 20-6cm? and ideas on that? is there some adjustment on that in the code....its a 10k  pot i am using

Thanks

Posted (edited)

You can see the code changes in the version.txt file in the download section. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B46GXQ9arT2lfmR2RXZLQXlBWmRiRU5OS044VXpBNkxiYmpqUy1tc01hZFdaM2RvQU9mcUE

Note that after version 1.05 or something the code was designed for a mega board rather than a uno.  I am guessing that your shaft speed issue was related to that.

As for your manual vane settings, did you get a linear 10k pot or a guitar 10k pot? sounds like the pot is not linear or the pot is bad.

Edited by Me78569

O.k,yes i think it was a guitar pot I was using, ill try a  linear pot. Yes i suspected there was something uncompatible with the later versions of code with  my hardware. Can you tell me what hardware you used for your setup?

I would just keep using your uno.  I used a mega so I could control lockup and EB at the same time, plus some other stuff I haven't gotten to yet.  

The 1.06 code ( or whtaever it is) has the same base code so you really aren't missing much.

2 hours ago, w124tony said:

O.k,yes i think it was a guitar pot I was using, ill try a  linear pot. Yes i suspected there was something uncompatible with the later versions of code with  my hardware. Can you tell me what hardware you used for your setup?

sorry just looked up the versions.  You want version 1.11 for the uno that will have all the features.

O.k i will try version 1.11, Which version of the canbus sheild did you use? My car has been out of action for 6months until i got around to sorting this so i really need to get this sorted now. 

Also What turbo speed do you see at idle?

Thanks, 

I see 12k turbo speed at idle if warm.  Driving shaft speed is ~40-70k WOT 120k 

I used a seeedsheild, but it was an older one that used pin 10.  I know some newer shields use pin 9, but if you are seeing vane movement then you are fine.  

Hi again, i just wanted to update the thread, i finally got around to finishing my controller and got everything working with the 1.11 version of code, the main problem i was experiencing previously with things not working i figured out was down to an inadequate 5V power supply for the arduino. So thanks for your help and ill update as i finally get things tuned on the road. 

2 people like this

This is great to hear.  I am so far beyond happy with my setup currently so I an sure you will enjoy it as well.