• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

It would be different alright...  But.... IDK.  That's a lot of air.  

I know a guy that did triple 351VE's, though he controlled them mechanically.

It may be something I play with, but it would be a long while down the road.  Right now I'm at the point of just wanting it running. lol

20 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

So cowboy, you said you wanted to do something different right?   

How about a vgt compound setup?  he300ve / he551ve setup with dual controllers?  

I really think this would be a sweet setup and I am sure the controller could now handle that wihtout much trouble at all.....

If I didn't already replace my turbo, I would give that a shot.  

Oh come on!

I don't have a trans to hold the power or the need for 600+ hp, but surely you do :shifty: 

I'll even tune it for you.  I THINK you could almost "preload" the he300/351 by snapping shut the 551 on idle -> tps input then jump wide open again.  

I wanna toy with it, but I in no way, shape or form, wanna blow the driveline out of the truck hahahahah.

Edited by Me78569

My trans is the only thing keeping me from throwing more power at it, I am currently pretty impressed with how much my stock clutch is taking... hehe.  But even after a clutch, I would still be worried about it.

I'm not sure if I want to shell $600 for a clutch, or G56 it.

From my experience with an exhaust brake, I don't think pre-loading it would work, it really bogs the turbo down.

9 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Oh come on!

I don't have a trans to hold the power or the need for 600+ hp, but surely you do :shifty: 

I'll even tune it for you.  I THINK you could almost "preload" the he300/351 by snapping shut the 551 on idle -> tps input then jump wide open again.  

I wanna toy with it, but I in no way, shape or form, wanna blow the driveline out of the truck hahahahah.

How much are we talking here, cost wise?  If it was cheaper to do this than add a S475 Stainless Diesel piping kit (~2350 ish) for me then I would consider it.

I don't need 600 hp though. With the air and fuel I have now I could, in theory, light up both tires, keep them lit while sliding sideways into the passing lane for about 40 yards (while signaling of course) right in front of a city cop who is such a bro he didn't even look at me.  In theory... :burnout: I am a lucky so and so sometimes, in theory.  

The point is that I got plenty of power as is.  I want smooth instant boost and the reliability of a 600 lb anvil, which is why my trans is overbuilt.  

Edited by CSM

Cowboy,

I think if you snapped the 551 closed for a split second ( only goes down to 6cm so it wouldn't act as an exhaust brake on our trucks) then walked it back wide open, you might be able to build a little back pressure. off idle.   dunno if it would work, but I would wanna mess with it.

CSM,

I think you are going to be alittle sad when you are here.... no such things as instant boost :kick:

Cost would likely be similar to the twin setup, but not nearly as cool AKA hard  to tune, work to tinker with, and time involved to get in the sweet spot hahahahhaha.

• 1 month later...

Spending some more time.

I am working on an "emissions" / Perf mode that drives the bottom of the curve hard.  Need to do some more find tuning, but overall smoke levels are down offidle, lag is also reduced.  

I almost regret not going with 150's at this point.  I think the vgt could have handled it fine.  

Version 1.08 is out.  In Perf mode ( inactive pot set to < 10) the offidle performance is up and smoke is down.  Curve is adjusted some for  better bottom end.  I'd say the entire boost curve is moved down by 100 rpm.

On 1/12/2016 at 10:07 AM, Cowboy said:

Very Impressive!  Does the HE351VE have a 60 or 62mm compressor wheel?

Some more tuning Cowboy, 

in 3rd at 1500 rpm I have ~15 psi of boost no issue, still only pushing %50 TPS on these runs. but smoke is pretty much gone when the quad is turned off.   I need to do some OD pulls from 1300 rpm up, but I RARELY ever go over 65 mph in the truck haha.   3rd just doesn't load the engine enough to build boost at lower RPMS with the auto.   Anyways 0 smoke on this pull when I went from %20 to %50 tps.  

Capture.PNG.8ebe94a5eee0e77be6cb02f6b068

Edited by Me78569

• 2 weeks later...

Warmup mode code has been setup, still need to test but here is what is happening.

if (timer % 700) {
    if (StartCount < 600){  //this section will walk the turbo to EB position for warmup if startup count is less than 600 or ~ 8 minutes
       idle_position = idle_position + 5; //walk turbo up in position by 5 every time the cycle runs
       constrain(idle_position,700,1000); //keeps turbo position in a valid range
       StartCount++; // each time it runs startcount increases by 1 to disable the function after 600 times
    }else{ 
    if (PotentiometerValue < 5) { perf_mode = true;} else {perf_mode = false;}
    if (perf_mode) { idle_position = 880;}
    else {idle_position = 700;}

}
    lcd.setCursor(14, 0);     //test to show the idle position requested
    lcd.print(idle_position); //test to show the idle position requested
  }

Pretty much for the first ~7-8 minutes (600 times through the code at .7 seconds per cycle), the turbo will walk from 880 ( 4cm)  to 1000 ( full eb mode) 5 per 1000 per cycle.  Turbo should reach full EB mode after 30 seconds, then hold eb position for ~7 minutes.  

Idle_position is used when no TPS is inputted and turbo RPMS are below 13k shaft rpm I think

Version 1.10 is out.  bidirectional canbus messaging has been added thanks to the rx7guy over at www.lilbb.com.

Warmup mode is now enabled by the actuator temp reported by the turbo. I think it sends temp via-40*C offset.  IE: it reports 50, what it means is 10*C

Edit:

Also thanks to the bidirectional communication I now know what position the turbo was told to go to and also what position the turbo is currently at. 

If the requested position and real position are more than 10/1000 from each other I set a flag on the screen to tell you to re-calibrate the turbo.  I am gonna chew on a way to automatically pass the recalibrate command on the next idle state or start,  not sure how to do that.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At some point in the last couple days I made a change and broke the can bus message send code somehow....I can't wait to figure out what I did and feel stupid haha.

It's a shame because I had some pretty neat code in place since the last change...that I didn't backup lolol.

as I expected a dumb mistake.  

I forgot I was mess with creating 2 can channels for communication....so I assigned a new pin to the can channel, then I got side tracked and walked away before I changed it  back to the right pin for the canbus controller.