• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

He351ve stand alone Arduino controller code for 2nd Gen Cummins

I'm using a 100 psi sensor for both boost and exhaust, I believe Nick is doing the same.  I should pull the map sensor of the one 99 and see what I get, can't promise I'll ever get around to it though. lol

• Owner

52psi is about the max on the stocker.

I am using a 100psi for both though.  The program can use any sensor, just have to map the values in the sensor read section.

I found out that accurately the number is lost after about 35 PSI or so. Changes from sensor to sensor. You might want to compare a stock sensor to a mechanical gauge and just for fun.

So I have been doing a good bit of thinking in regards to how to get the boostmap vs drive sorted. 

what needs to happen is:

- Drive pressure should be expect to be in the 1.5-.18:1 ratio until 15-20ish psi to help get good spool. Veins should remain at 235 position until 10 ish psi

- Once 20 psi is reached then the veins should open at a faster rate to try and manage dp

Now this could be done using the single boostmap, but is there a better way to do it?  should I try and write something that tries to keep dp closer to 1:1 once the turbo is spooled? 

Issue I am having is the turbo seems to want to jump around a lot if I try and mange the veins outside of the boost map when drive gets out of control.  This is all theory as I am still bench testing, but I don't really like the results of any DP manage section i put in place. 

I might need to just put in a Vein position manage program that happens if the DP gets within x amount of the max, otherwise stick to the boost map.

I understand that this is about as clear as mud until I get the think put on the truck as tested in the real world, but still thoughts?

Here is some code that I wrote for manaing DP while the pot is active,  Can't imagine as situtation that dp would get out of control with the pot active, but none the less it is needed.

else if (SwitchPosition != HIGH)// && ThrottlePosition < 30)  ** had to comment out the TPS input for testing as my pot was giving off too much noise.  I will renable it once I connect it to the actual tps lead.
      PotManage ();  //vein position is pot value

//Ensure Pot doesn't cause Drive pressure to go over the maxexhaustpressure **look at more

void PotManage (){
 int Rate = 11; // added to make ManageRate grow as exhaust pressure rises to max and above.
 int ManageRate = ((ExhaustPressure - MaxExhaustPressure)+Rate);
 if ((ExhaustPressure + ExPrsBuffer) <= MaxExhaustPressure)
   DesiredPosition = PotentiometerValue;
 else if ((ExhaustPressure + ExPrsBuffer) > MaxExhaustPressure)
   DesiredPosition = (PotentiometerValue +(JumpSize * ManageRate));
   DesiredPosition = constrain(DesiredPosition, 0, 999);
}

I think I am gonna scrap trying to manage Drive Pressure when just looking at the boost map.  I will tune it once it is on the truck and manage DP by reducing fuel if need be.  If it becomes and issue I will write something to try and keep it in check.

I just don't like how much it jumps when it is trying to manage dp.  I feel like it will cause surging issues and so forth.

The "jumping around" can be cause by the DP taking charge putting the veins position down getting it down.  and then the boost map taking control again and kicking it back up.

you could make a "free zone" drive pressure range where the map can't close the veins.  and the drive pressure manage function can't open them any.

I think having a backup drive pressure manage function is a good idea.  But that's just my opinion.

that is what is happening.  the vein kick open some then boost comes up but the next boost step level is below the kick open for the dp manage.   Just a bit hassle.

I am working on a dpmanage now if drive pressure goes above 50psi as a safety thing, but nothing in terms of actively managing the dp. 

Once I can get it on the truck and tested in the real world I will reconsider spending the time to figure it out if it needs it.

correct me if I am wrong in my thinking, but shouldn't a correct boost map and correct fuels prevent DP issues up until the max is hit?

What I am struggling to accomplish is imagine you are on the throttle and boost is raising along with drive at a 1.5:1 ratio.  Once you hit 35psi then your drive will be above 50 psi.   I guess there needs to be some sort of loop to manage DP at 50 psi ( similar to the eb setup) while the boost plays catch up and reaches it's max. 

So if you are on the throttle hard and dp is raising up to 50psi you should be able to jump out of the map and into a manage loop that tries to keep DP at 50ish psi correct? 

am I missing anything?  I guess I could scrap the boost map above 30ish psi and move to a dp manage %100?

thoughts?

Alright just bench tested the new dpmanage  section, which is the same as the EB section with different limits, and it works really well. 

How I envision it working is from 0-30psi it works off the boost map with a drive pressure that is unmanaged.  Assuming the worse case 2:1 ( whihc I think it a little high of a guess) that will show a max of 60 psi.  once boost crosses the 30 mark then it will try and keep the drive pressure at 50psi.  Assuming a max boost pressure of 40psi that puts the ratio back at a much better 1.25:1 

I am guessing that on a hard run the drive pressure should be near 50psi once the 30 psi boost pressure is reached and the ratio will be pulled in from there.

Thoughts?

Couple things I want to add:

1. for safety, use a power supple to give 9ish volts to the Uno for spike safety. They are only rated for 12VDC & the 14.5 could damage them.

2. Be sure to run both the Uno & HE351VE on an ignition powered relay, as the 351 does a full sweep of the veins upon each power up to keep them from sticking.

If I remember right, I have about 4 or 4.5 cm exhaust till about 6 psi. That gives me a touch of boost at idle. It also, using boost, overrides the torque management in the ECM, as I have way more power down low. I think my max opening is about 12cm in the software.

Ed

Are you watching drive pressure ed?

Thanks I will ensure I do a power supply rather than run on truck power and my turbo doesn't do a sweep when plugged in.  ( i'll have to update at some point.)

I hooked it up, but think I remarked it out. Maybe I'll try your code this weekend. I might even have the right display. I think for the sweep update, you need to plug it into a truck while it's being updated. Let me see if I have something about that.

Ed

I have the 100 psi sensors (Fleabay& much cheaper) & the display on the way (Mine is a 2X16). I'll have your code up & running next week. I'll set the Quad to 0 for just boost fooling to start. This way, we are all on the same level. One thing I am not sure if you noticed, is that the sensors are .5VDC to 4.5VDC & not 0-5VDC like the pots would be.

Also, I noticed a lot of Pot coding..... Got to love Coloridians... LOL

Ed