• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NGK spark plugs for ATV...

flagmanruss

2002 Bombadier Quest 650.  Bought used.  Probably some blow-by. 

It's touchy.  Set throttle in warm weather & it stalls often in cold.  Set throttle in cold weather & it runs too fast to shift when running.  Use is mainly plowing snow.  (Pretty rough duty since the snow is higher than the blade.)  Occasionally dragging firewood out.  Note: it's only a single cylinder...  plug has to be "good".

Problem is...  had a new standard spark plug NGK DCPR8e start of the winter.  The one that came out was sooted black.  Just had to put in a spare today.  Turned over but wouldn't start.  Started right up with new plug. The plug that came out was "clean".  Only have one spare now so I'm shopping for additional spares. 

Are any of the additional cost plugs any good?          

Mods:  Wasn't sure where to put this.  Move it?     

Edited by flagmanruss

A quick google search looks like autozone and some other vendors in google shopping has them for 2-3 bucks.  As another thought, you might try the DCPR7e.  It is supposed to be a hotter plug which if you are getting sooted up without blow by and burning excessive oil or other issues, might help.  Some reading.  http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp

Time for a carb rebuild kit Russ?

Sometimes the boots get hard and brittle and suck air in places that mess with the mixture and makes it a real PITA to tune. Went through this on my oldest boys Honda last fall. Nothing a rebuild kit, a pipe and a couple of bumps up in jets couldn't solve.

Carb was serviced by ATV shop recently.   I'm thinking there IS blow by.   I'm considering hotter plugs...  one range might help.  Or a multi-spark type plug.  I can't take the ATV out of service when we plowing with it every third day!  Wife's been out plowing this morning...  about 10" this time.  Still very windy, (50-60 mph gusts) so no point in trying to do much until it stops drifting. 

additional:  The wind let up & she's been out plowing & clearing vehicles.  (Nice of her.)  Those gusts cleared the snow out of the trees in a white out blast! 

NGK (official site) was not encouraging on cleaning plugs, especially is they are sooted up.  My take is the carbon crosses the insulator shorting the plug & unless it's completely removed, will fail to work.  Years ago, I had flooded plugs (on the travel-lift)...  looked clean...  but wouldn't fire.  New plugs got it going.      

I did some reading on the multi-contact plugs & passed on them.  I went ahead & reordered a 10 pack of the standard plugs.  At least that should keep it running until Spring. 

Edited by flagmanruss

NGK and or Champion are as good as they get and you were right to pass on the marketing scams of the fancy mulit prong and exotic material plugs, often times if not all the time perform worse than any other on he market. Be careful of hotter plugs, you could wind up with a hole in a piston fairly quick, especially on a one cylinder rig that's getting worked hard.

She reported the winch (plow lift) was frozen this morning.  (-7 at 7AM...  +15 by the time she got out there.)  She used some spray de-icer & heat gun with little luck, seemingly.  Used a ratchet strap to lift enough to plow a little (rather than the comealone I suggested).  Anyhow, the winch thawed out & she wasd able to do more while I made a grocery run.  Driveway is plowed barely wide enough to get my car out...  just can't push snow over bank with such a small plow.      

I have to give Kudos to the wife, for getting the ATV winch to work.  We attended a Christmas party a couple of years ago & when we went to leave, everyone's cars were frozen closed.  Shortly after, I found Prestone Windshield & Wiper De-Icer in a pump sprayer at WalMart.  So I bought one for each car.  This is what she remembered & used after the heat gun failed to free the winch.   

is the winch wire rope or synthetic? i switched mine to synthetic, hasn't froze sense. as for the carb and plug issues. will it idle?  is sounds like your running rich, maybe check the air filter, set the screws on the carb to factory, usually about 1 3/4 turns out from full seat.

it also sounds like the choke might be on.

My old 1998 Honda TRX 300 one lunger had to have seasonal idle adjustments made as well. summer adjustment wasn't enough to keep it running in winter, winter adjustment was high idle all the time in summer. Never could find a sweet spot that was good year round,but was a simple 2 second adjustment as they put an easy to get to thumb screw on the carb, even my gorilla hand could do it with light gloves on.