• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ODBII reads MIL, but check engine light off

Harry

Truck due for a smog, so I pulled the programmer out (quick plug in under hood Edge). Runs fine (with a lot less power), no problem codes through odometer check, and no dash lights. When the key is turned on, the systems does the standard dash light check, truck starts, and all lights go out like normal. I have no reason to believe there is any issue at this point. Wife takes truck the to smog shop, they won't run it because it will fail. They plug in an ODB quick check tool and it says my "Check Engine Light"  is on. Tried disconnecting the batteries for more than an hour, no help. Borrowed a friend scanner tool, it truly show a MIL issue, but no codes of any type are found.

Anyone else ever had an issue like this? Until I get the MIL issues resolved, I can't pass the smog, and my tags have expired (but payed for).

Quick thoughts:

- should I reconnect the programmer and see if the MIL goes away?

- can I pass the emissions test w/ the programmer in, if MIL clears with it, maybe a low setting?

For reference;

ODBII tool used:  "Cen-Tech Deluxe OBDII & CAN Scan Tool"

You said your "check engine light" was off after removing the Edge.......................but they said it was "on" when they plugged their tester into your truck?????

What year truck is this????  Fill out a signature with what BOMBS you've done or not done, and we'll be able to help you better.

Recheck  all your connectors/plugs from where the Edge was, and don't let your wife drive your truck!!!

Sorry Guys, bad to miss something like that one.

2003 3/4 ton 4X4 4-door

Non-CA version I.E. 50 more horses and no CAT

Bank baffle remover/cold air intake

Edge under-hood programmer.

No other upgrades - no know issues

Mopar1973man: there is no codes.

Dorkweed: Yes, the truck does not have the light illuminated, but multiple scanners say it is. The light comes on during ignition on, then goes out after start, so it ain't a bulb.

....... I sold the my old truck and my wife's new truck to buy this truck, so she "gets" to drive it until I replace hers.

I went ahead and re-installed the programmer, no change (except more power again). All I can guess is that I have not completed a "Drive Cycle" yet. I'm keeping the programmer in the truck and will check it daily to see what items get checked/cleared from the drive cycle list. When they've all cleared, hopefully the MIL will clear too.

What state/province is this??  Something doesn't sound right here.  Your MIL/CEL is functioning just fine according to the way mine works on my truck.  Mine is on during the grid heater cycle and then engine cranking;  but goes out once the truck starts.  A stored code maybe????

I think we may need John here.

Hail call out to AH64ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm located in Bakersfield CA, USA.

Of course smogging a truck that was not designed to smog, at least not planned for smogging at the time it was built is the first issue (thank you CA). But yes, it looks like is all working properly, including no check engine light, but yet the scanners are saying it is (MIL). And there is no freeze frames, active codes or stored codes.

I'm really hoping it's just the "Drive Cycle" thing.

Does anyone know what is expected to complete the drive cycle for the year/model? Maybe I can take it out and try to complete it directly. Every drive cycle I've read up on shows specifics that my driving style may never achieve unless I focus to complete it.

If there is no codes just go for the smog test. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT always comes on for a bulb test and goes out after starting. As long as there is no codes and no CHECK ENGINE light you are fine.

This is what I thought also!!!^^^^

This should be the case, no light, no issue. But this is not the case. The smog Tech (a friend) has a meter/scanner he checks with before smogging, it shows a MIL error. I have another scanner, it also shows a MIL error. But, there is no codes. I had not checked before removing the programmer, so I can only assume the MIL is because I removed the programmer and had not completed a "Drive Cycle". Then again, I'm not sure and am lots. If this will not clear after completing a drive cycle, then how do I get it to pass with a MIL error.

And I don't want to go to the Stealership if I can in any way avoid it. It won't be to my local dealer anyway, they really are mentally handycapped.

I'll plug the scanner in tonight and see if any codes are showing, or if the MIL is still showing and report back. 

I know this is an odd one, and why the smog tech (former mechanic) is also baffled. There should not be a MIL error if there is no code.

I know you said you are using a different scanner and getting the same result, but are they the same brand? Is it possible operator error in reading/checking for codes? This seems really odd and apparently it has baffled the mighty-minds on this site.

• Owner

I know you said you are using a different scanner and getting the same result, but are they the same brand? Is it possible operator error in reading/checking for codes? This seems really odd and apparently it has baffled the mighty-minds on this site.

No joke. If the MIL is OFF and NO codes can be read then the truck should pass. If there is anything pending it shouldn't count till the error code is tripped or the MIL is ON.

Well no luck. Still no Post code, pre code, or freeze frames. I'm not an expert at the scanner i'm using, but when I run a live scan... it shows MIL status ON, while the truck is running, but not illuminated. It is so odd, I'm gonna start asking shop to shop to see if anyone's heard of this before. Maybe the part that checks/clears the MIL has failed to clear, but I bet that is the main CPU I.E. Pretty penny.

When I find the cure for this cancer my truck has, I'll let y'all know. In the mean time, keep throwing'em at me.

Oh yea, the Programmer is back in, not turned all the way up so it don't smoke unless the foot is on floor, and still not too bad since I still have the OEM lift pump.

Also, how many ways is there to reset any and all systems on this truck. Can I reset the ECM, CPU, or any other system to make it start checking all over.

Edited by Harry

Mike/Dork,

Your right in the eyes of any non-government related item. But the smog machines in CA now link directly to the DMV. Since there is no DMV agent at the smog shops, then only what the vehicle tells them is what they see. Therefore, even though my light is not on, when the system tell the smog machine it is on, that is what the DMV gets. It's a real joke, or isn't in my case.

Josh,

2 things; the scanner I use is a cheap one, the smog tech won't buy cheap equipment, so not likely the same brand... but I'll ask for the hell of it. Also, is the MIL or check engine codes stored in the ECM? I ask because I'd hate to have it flashed and it not help in any way. But if it'll clear the MIL, I'm up for taking it in.

I'm up for a Check Engine Light, but only if it can be fixed, this ain't right.

• Owner

:think:

If the MIL is OFF and the ECM is send data saying it ON. That simply tells me the ECM has taken damage of some sort. But I would check with other tools to see if it states the same thing as the MIL being ON if so then ECM is most likely damaged. But if several other tools show the MIL is OFF I would challenge the tester or find another test station to do the work. I would even take a try at the local dealer for support.

I may be headed to the dealer.

Turns out the smog tech started w/ a Snap-On, then tried an OTC tester (no name), then a Worldwide unit. It's possible the OTC is the same as the one I'm using, or maybe not. Either way, this is 3 or 4 different brands and defiantly 4 different meters.

I'll post my finding and resolve as soon as I have something real to offer.