• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission service

• Owner

Using a flush machine when doing a change is not good for our autos. It will put crap into places that you don't want them to be! Best thing to do is to drop the pan, change the filter, install the pan, fill the tranny up with about 8 qts, then remove the line from the tranny to the cooler, (furthest one back on the tranny on the left side). Start the truck up put it in nuetral and let the fluid come out, when it clears up, then tighten everything up and fill the tranny back upto the required amount. I asked this same question on another site and did a poll on it as well. Results were NO on the tranny flush! This is how I did my tranny.

I like that I dea... At least your purging the rest of the system out and clearing the rest of the system of old fluid and getting a fresh start. :smart: (Good idea!)

oh sorry!! Drain back as in fluid draining back into the trans from the torqe converter, it happens slowly, and the longer it sits there with no pan on the more fluid you will have to replace. I just changed my filter and adjusted the bands the other day, so mine was off for a while, ended up putting in about 6 quarts to get it back were it needed to be.

Using a flush machine when doing a change is not good for our autos. It will put crap into places that you don't want them to be! Best thing to do is to drop the pan, change the filter, install the pan, fill the tranny up with about 8 qts, I asked this same question on another site and did a poll on it as well. Results were NO on the tranny flush! This is how I did my tranny.

i saw a news report that said nearly all manufactures say no flushes(on motors). they had the president of honda america to say it was bad and not needed if you have proper maintenance. ford said it could void your warranty. but if it destroyed the motors and trans they were hooked up to, then these places wouldn't use them....

• 2 weeks later...

Its late though I thought it may be may be usefull to some the drainback happens naturally in park only if you remove the drainback valve which on our auto trucks its a common modification do to a plugging problem in the valve causing a lack of flow hence lack of cooling its only purpose is to keep the fluid from draining out of the converter in park when the truck sits. For those that let it sit and get more out think about oil and when it gets a little sludgy and now its running through 3\8 to 1\2 inch holes and lines for god knows how many feet its how these trannys work so you will get drainback from there over time depending how the truck is sitting (level on a slope) not the converter I am not being mean or trying to say anyones information is wrong this is just information I gathered from multiple dealers and shops and I wanted to clear up anyone thoughts on drainback from the converter I am in a hotel now and when I get back to my service book I will tell yall where it is located and if you have an auto at every service it should be checked they next step will will give you a good way to check it without pulling it out I belive it is located in the bellhousing or just outside. Now another bit is that in searching for a solution to my tranny problem I found if you have the time there is a really simple way to drain most of the fluid about 24 hours and an easy way to drain your fluid without a drain plug remove all the bolts but one on each end front back center bolts set the park brake put the truck in netraul loosen one bolt and leave it in a couple threads and remove the one opposite while supporting pan with free hand and now you have an easy way to control fluid drian once its empty for the most part, pull the remaing bolt and lower it carefully to the ground and yes there still will be fluid in there take your filter off and let her drain down over night. (now another thought is on the 14 quarts I belive new everything is 12-14 depending on pan) I put 10 and a half quarts in mine last time.

Hope this helps some if I am wrong on any of this please let me know this is just going off what I have been told and I have seen whith my own rig.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to doing my tranny oil change and band adjustment. Now the 2-3 shift feels like it is slipping. Do I tighten the band some more or loosen it off? I looked it up on dodgeram.org and it says it could do this but it didn't say whether it was too tight or too loose.:shrug: