• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cleaning the snow off the truck...

I've been pretty anal about this in recent years... I know you're all thinking this is no big deal... When clearing the windshield, I always clean the roof off too. The last year I had my Chevy on the road... I went out & cleaned about 6" off the windshield before I got called away, leaving the snow on the roof & the truck sitting in the sun. When I returned, the snow had slid forward on the glass... and the glass had a horrizontal crack right at eye level. Of course, it failed inspection. I figured it was one in a million but a buddy of mine had the same thing happen on a newer truck.Fast forward to present. My good wife gave me H*ll for climbing in the back of the truck with no one else home. I thought I was clever working around my lame leg but she was not amused. I have modded one of my snow brushes. I have several of the cheap telescoping brushes... and I removed the handle on one (4' extended) with a 5 foot fixed handle off something else. I don't need to telescope this one since it resides in the mud room when not in use. What a difference the extra reach is! I can push most of the snow off the windshield, hood & even the roof from the drivers side. With a bit of planning, I can dump most of it into the woods, so no shoveling. I just thought I'd share this little idea while I'm watching the snow flakes fall.Russ

i was wondering why you were telling this story, until i read its snowing where you are.lolin oklahoma it was warm and partly sunny :) got the back yard and garage picked up. now i can find tools\jacks when i do some work on the trucks.i never used to clean all the snow off. just enough to see around. back in dec news reports went out reminding people that if ice falls off your vehicle and does damage, then you are liable. since then i try to get most off my top and ladder. good point about the inspections. living in OK, and being young, i have never had the torture/pleasure of inspections.

We still have snow on the ground here in some low lying non sunny places. Finally got above freezing here today. As for the snow removal.. to find the easy way, watch the college kids :lol:. They just use brooms lol. Works but 4wd trucks are probably too tall to get all the snow off without having to get in the bed. You MUST get the snow off the roof or you can find yourself in an embarrassing or hazardous situation. I take it most people use their heaters in winter.. Heat radiates up through the roof into the snow you neglected, now the area between the snow and rooftop is melted. This creates a slick spot for the snow and when you stop, all the snow will slide over the windshield. Now if you are stopping to avoid an accident and it does this....how will you know you are avoiding it! I have seen this happen to people at several stoplights. You never cease to amaze me Flagmanruss. Always thinking one step ahead of the common folk, nice job improvising a solution.

Well my truck is stock 4X4, not lifted. I have to stand just so, get my good leg up on the step to just get into the driver's seat. I can't get in the passengers side. I'm only 5'6 but I can get most of the snow off the roof with both feet on the ground. If your truck is higher, all bets are off.As for the "why" it should not be necessary to learn everything the hard way. Now I'd never thought about a snow block sliding forward over the windshield at a stop! I bet the quad-cab could slide quite a snow bank!Russ

Edited by flagmanruss
Russ can't spell

• Owner

A simple cure for all of this is keep your vehicle under cover or in a shop/garage... But I can see where several people don't have this ability... But even here in Idaho I see lots people just scrapping a hole through the ice in the windshiled and driving to work... The side windows are still covered. I've also seen where mini-vans have had blocks of snow as tall at 2-3 foot tall on the roof... This is just plum stupid and lazy...

I always wondered about just getting a truck cover. Then just take it off and your truck is perfect. But I don't know what would happen when the snow melted then froze, might plaster the cover to my truck, not sure thought since I've never even touched one.

• 2 weeks later...

Any snow that comes down now... and it still can I know... won't last. With all the flooding around here, deep water crossing may be more of an issue! LOL! We broke a record high yesterday. Maybe 72 today. I'm running light, so the winter cold front can stay in a few more days, but I'm watching the temp like a hawk.

More SNOW... YUCK!! I feel bad for you. Not that we couldn't get another blast... it's happened before... but at this point, we'd just clean the cars / trucks & drive over the rest of it. Wife spent a bunch of time getting her garden ready.