• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trip Report

Went down to SE Missouri this past weekend for my annual snow goose hunt. Hunting was slow on Sat. and great on Sun. On Sunday 3 guys killed 19 birds inspite of 2 guys with gun problems!!!Anyhow, I left my house Friday with about 125 mostly towing miles on the tank of fuel. Got down to Sikeston, MO, and filled up. I got 548 miles on that tank and after hand calculating mileage, it worked out to 18.5mpg. Not too bad.Drove around down there for about 180 miles before heading home on Sunday. I drove straight thru without stopping all the way to my house. I filled up this AM and the tank had 624 miles on it. Hand calculated mileage worked out to 19.8mpg. Pretty good since I was bucking a mild, mostly headwind all the way home.Both ways I kept the cruise control on when ever possible and had it set on 2000RPM which on my truck with stock sized tires is about 68mph. I know that the first tank was winter fuel because I filled her up here. But the second tank was filled in SE Missouri. Are they still on winter fuel down there???? Going down, the temps were mid to upper 30's the whole way down. On the way back, it started out in the low 50's and it was just above freezing when I got home.Well, that's my mileage story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

Pretty good numbers! I don't know about the winter fuel thing. I assume so since we have had 5F mornings all last week. I can never tell a difference in mileage between summer and winter so I have no clue how to tell between winter and summer fuel. Sounds like you had fun. That area down there is about the only area with actual "hills" and stuff to see IMO :lol:

No trailer hauling Mike. Just me and the dog and my gear going down, and me and 2 dogs and some dead birds coming back. I bought back the outfitters dog to try and breed my black Lab male to.:stuned::stuned::drool:ISX, SE Missouri around Sikeston is all delta type ground..........pancake flat. New Madrid is just South of Sikeston and that's real close to where we were hunting. We're in the "bootheel" of MO. As far a fuel goes, I can see about a 5-10% difference in fuel pending the season. Had this trip been in the middle of summer, I'd have gotten about 1mpg better mileage.

Well that's interesting. I haven't been on the edge of SE MO like that but about an hour NW of sikeston is the highest point in MO and its very hilly. Guess I'll have to drive down there some time. I haven't been in too much of the NW area of MO either. Got any pics?

Well that's interesting. I haven't been on the edge of SE MO like that but about an hour NW of sikeston is the highest point in MO and its very hilly. Guess I'll have to drive down there some time. I haven't been in too much of the NW area of MO either. Got any pics?

Here you go. You can kind of see how flat it is.:smart:

I don't know anywhere in MO that's THAT flat. Always seems to be a hill somewhere to screw it up. Heres some pics of an hour NW, which is why I can't believe how flat it is in sikeston :lol:Yeah I know, it's a wonder I didn't need an oxygen tank at that elevation :lmao:

post-45-138698164056_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698164065_thumb.jpg

Yeah Mike. This area of Missouri isn't that far above the level of the Mississippi river which is about 20 miles East. The Ozarks of MO drain through this area. It actually is "delta" type ground...........very fine silty, clay, sandy soil. Much of Illinois is flat, but with gentle rolling hills. South Florida is pancake flat like this too.With some warmer weather, summer fuel and not bucking the wind (light as it was) I'd would've been in the 20's mpg coming home. Just over a year ago coming back from North Dakota, with 3 guys, 2 dogs and our gear; I got 20.? mpg running 75-80mph with a quartering tail wind. Winter fuel and loaded down!!

• Owner

Yeah I know, it's a wonder I didn't need an oxygen tank at that elevation :lmao:

Then come to Idaho and go to Heavens Gate at the Seven Devils I could kill ya... :lmao2::lmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Devils_Mountains

Posted Image

Yeah Mike. This area of Missouri isn't that far above the level of the Mississippi river which is about 20 miles East. The Ozarks of MO drain through this area. It actually is "delta" type ground...........very fine silty, clay, sandy soil. Much of Illinois is flat, but with gentle rolling hills. South Florida is pancake flat like this too.

With some warmer weather, summer fuel and not bucking the wind (light as it was) I'd would've been in the 20's mpg coming home. Just over a year ago coming back from North Dakota, with 3 guys, 2 dogs and our gear; I got 20.? mpg running 75-80mph with a quartering tail wind. Winter fuel and loaded down!!

Wow! What a learning curve... I've never been beyond Minnesota before...

Hmm, I've been 14,110ft :lol: That was going to the top of Pikes Peak in our jeep grand cherokee, which overheated :ahhh: Alright you guys got me going now. I want to show you something. You never really see anything that you can really judge to how big this is so look at the people in each pic, they are in the same spot every time. That should give you guys an idea of how big it is, I haven't seen anything else even come close to as breathtaking as there. Click these in order so you can keep track of the people :lol:http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/IMG_0625.jpg http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/IMG_0626.jpg http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/IMG_0627.jpg

post-45-138698164073_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698164079_thumb.jpg

Edited by ISX

It is interesting to see ground that isn't covered with snow. I have forgotten what that looks like.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

OMG! That is flat... As far as the eye can see there isn't a single hump in the ground... Wow! I be able to stay in my 20's easy down there.

As for the birds you did really good... Maybe you should come to Idaho and pick a turkey from the yard... :lol:

It's pretty flat in Western Minnesota also. You can watch your dog run away for three days.

• 2 weeks later...