• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bringing our trucks into the 21st century

I think I have seen something in the Crutchfield catalog that fits a single din slot that is a motorized screen that comes out from the radio slot and then flips up to a vertical position.

I once looked at them but decided to go a different way for my gps and camera.  They were fairly spendy and map upgrades were expensive as well.  I was also a little leary of the durability of a flip up screen mechanism hanging out there where it might get touched ot bumped inadvertently.

I went with a large screen Garmin for a couple of reasons: map and traffic updates were free; the screen size gives me lots of detail and the screen splits to show additional details as well, it has blue tooth so I can use my phone hands free and it is setup for trucks and RVs.  Which means you can put in the rig dimensions then the gps watches out for low overhangs, narrow lanes etc., and supposedly won't route you on a roadway that will get you into trouble.

I mounted it on the front edge of my dash just above the radio (because I am not fond of windshield mounts; you can't put a sunscreen in the window without taking the unit down everytime and its a long reach from the drivers seat to the windshield if I need to interact with the gps.

For the camera I chose to use an Edge brand camera and it interfaces with my Edge CTS Insight.  Again no windshield mount and no forward dash clutter either.  There are a ton of backup camera options. Some interface with a rearview mirror, some require a seperate monitor mounted upfront and some interface with an existing monitor screen.Etc.

Both of these installs are in my gen 3 because that's the truck I use most of the time to do my traveling in (recreation etc).

post-558-0-87438700-1431613073_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-71773200-1431613121_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-37456400-1431613181_thumb.jpg

post-558-0-37947900-1431613222_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...