• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck wont start

Alright, so I bought this truck for cheap, its a 2000 2500 automatic with fairly low miles. It has a fass platinum lift pump. When I bought it the injection pump was off, so obviously not running. The po had bought a new injection pump from bd diesel, a new pcm, a junkyard instrument cluster and a "new" ecm. He said the truck was running several times after the injection pump was replaced, but kept dieing and he was done with it. So I put on the injection pump, ive got it bled at the inlet to the vp, and all the easy injector lines cracked. Tryed cranking it a couple times, not a kick. It keeps throwing codes P0122, P01688 and P01689. I looked them up on this site for convienince I'll post them here. P0112 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Voltage Too Low dont think it means much. And

P1688 Internal Fuel Injection Pump Failure P1689 No Communication Between ECM And VP44

Vp death codes right? I guess I'll try hotwiring the vp tommorow, just to make sure. Any thoughts on what else it could be? Also, I was wondering in the diagnostics of those codes, this is said "Good Trip Counter Equals Zero", just wondering what it meant. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

He had this truck running with all the new computers and stuff? I am just wondering if the PCM or ECM isnt flashed correctly for the truck. Is everything else plugged in under the hood? No loose wires or plugs? The VP codes make me think something isnt plugged in.

Well the vp is plugged in haha. But it's got some messy wiring, there are a couple plugs but I believe they are for the stock fuel canister, which is gone. I think your right about incorrectly flashed computers, I got it with a superchips programmer that's vin locked to a different ecm? Should my local Chrysler be able to flash that to the correct vin? Or do I need to send it outside. Yes he said it was running with all the new parts, it died about 20 mins from the shop.. Thanks for the reply

Edited by 02ctd

Well I took another look at this

IMAG0100_zpsrd56ode6.jpg

And found this

IMAG0101_zpsqyukukpa.jpg

Any ideas why anybody would butcher the vp harness like this? You only need to splice 2 wires for a wire tap right?

Edited by 02ctd

Ya I'd say start with a new harness or at the very least solder and heat shrink them back together. Only thing I can think of is maybe some one screwed up the plug for the VP and hacked a junkyard end back on it. Also stupid question, but are all the wires crimped to the correct wire?

It was getting pretty late when I took that picture, I never got a chance to dig into it. Just from the fact the truck was running I think the wires are connected right. Moparman I agree the whole truck should be rewired, it's all pretty butchered but I think I'll just try and get it going for now...

Edit: the Orange plug goes to the apps

Edited by 02ctd

• Owner

I would do like Buzzin' said is solder and shrink tube all wiring back together and get rid of the crimps. That would get you 90% good but still could be issues with data lines of CCD network and CAN Bus connections. They don't tolerate voltage changes or weak connection very well. So if you stop over in the article database there wiring diagrams for the engine wiring then at least you can get that fixed back up.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/87-dodge-ram-turbo-cummins-24-valve-engine-wiring

Alright I'll take a look at that. I think that injection pump is shot. I dumped 5 gal in the tank, I bled at the fass filter, vp inlet and surprisingly I was able to bleed at the return as well. I cleaned up all that wiring and it still wouldnt start. It wasn't as bad as it looked, someone musta just cut it up to, as suggested put another vp plug on because it seems fairly stock behind it. After that I checked, and it has power at pin 7 and ground at the pin above that with the key on. So I tried hot wiring it. I believe I did it right, as whenever I connect power I hear a click from the injection pump. But it still won't start...