• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum Pump Oil Leak Driving Me Insane!

Alright, need some help here before I take a sledgehammer to it. A few months ago I had to replace my power steering pump. I figured since I was going to pull the vacuum pump anyway, I might as well be on the safe side and clean, inspect, and replace the o-rings even though it wasn't leaking. I've now put three sets of o-rings on this pump and I'll be @#$%ed if it isn't leaking again. I make my living as a mechanic but I may need to think about a career change. The first two sets of o-rings were from Gould. A buddy had bought it but ended up selling the truck so he gave it me. I followed the instructions exactly and torqued everything to spec. First time, leaked between the retainer and housing. Second time, same scenario, but leaked from seal lip. This time, I'm not sure. I flipped it the bird, did a lot of cussing, and came in to ask you guys. Each time I have cleaned everything like I was doing surgery. There are no burrs, no wear marks, no dirt, nothing. Only difference I saw between seal kits is that the Gould kit seal fit tighter in the retainer compared to the Cummins. Any help greatly appreciated!

Not exactly sure where its leaking this time. I'll find out tomorrow for sure. I do know without a doubt that the seal was bottomed out against the retainer lip every time. Also, I'm positive the retainer was fully seated as well. Each time, I inspected everything to see if I could figure out what was going on. Neither o-ring had been torn, rolled, or otherwise damaged. Both seals were in good condition. Outer diameter of seals were not torn, they were seated evenly, the double lips had no damage, springs are intact. I saved everything and inspected them with a magnifying glass tonight. I see no reason at all for it to fail.

Not exactly sure where its leaking this time. I'll find out tomorrow for sure. I do know without a doubt that the seal was bottomed out against the retainer lip every time. Also, I'm positive the retainer was fully seated as well. Each time, I inspected everything to see if I could figure out what was going on. Neither o-ring had been torn, rolled, or otherwise damaged. Both seals were in good condition. Outer diameter of seals were not torn, they were seated evenly, the double lips had no damage, springs are intact. I saved everything and inspected them with a magnifying glass tonight. I see no reason at all for it to fail. Oh, and it is the vacuum pump side leaking for sure. I've have to have the cleanest power steering fluid ever, after flushing it this many times.

Let me throw this out there in case anyone else may be worried about offending me. I want you guys to ask me everything you think might be a possibility. I wasn't raised to carry a big ego and a know it all, so don't be shy to ask anything. As for the direction of the seal, Mike is right. Cummins has one line buried in the directions, pg. 3 step# 13, "press into the sleeve with dust lip facing down". I don't know about Mikes but my directions look like they came from a printer that is about to run out of ink. There are pictures but they are virtually useless. It's also a double lip seal, so which lip are they talking about. I pressed it in like a pinion seal or output shaft seal. Open, spring side down. The closed faced side facing power steering pump. Maybe that is the problem?

most of the time the spring retainer in double lip seals goes toward the wet side. so in this case the spring should be towards the front. is it possible the steering pump is weeping making it look like the vacuum pump?

Thats what I thought. I've installed all three, spring toward the front/wet side. Also thought about fluid as well so I took a white wypall and put a dab of oil on it and a dab of power steering fluid. Then took a dab of leaking fluid on it. No doubt its oil. Cleaned around the area and ran truck to operating temp. It is leaking around the seal for sure.

As for mine I'm super picky about leaks. I've changed my oil 3k ago and I'm still full but there is a wet cross members so my leak is very very minor but just not happy with the idea rolling on the creeper and getting arm full of engine oil.

But you're rusting and I'm not.