• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How can I Lower My Egt's

I'm trying to get the lower egts on my 99 dodge 24 valve nv4500. I have the banks monster ram, pusher 3.5 inch hot side inter-cooler hose, bhaf air filter, fass 95gph fuel pump, straight piped exhaust, edge ez tuning set on 2 setting. I am trying to get better fuel millage, i have never pulled anything with it. i travel at 65 to work and my egts are about 600 to 630, how can i get them lower, thanks

• Owner
I am trying to get better fuel millage

Slow down. Optimal MPG is had at around 55-60 MPH. Beyond that the numbers start to degrade as you travel faster.

Boost is going to be low and drive pressure is going to be low so intakes, coolers and pipes are not going to affect the EGT's nor the MPG's. At this point its all about speed since there is no boost pressure or drive pressure.

• Owner

i would like to drive 55 its pretty hard to do. 20 mpg is about average

20 at 65 is nothing to complain about.

Exactly... 20-21 MPG is what I see at 65 MPH.

But it's true a 10 MPH drop will push it even higher. Typically if I hold back to 55 MPH I see a easy 24-25 MPG but pyrometer temps drop to about 500-550*F at 55 MPH.

Exactly... 20-21 MPG is what I see at 65 MPH.

But it's true a 10 MPH drop will push it even higher. Typically if I hold back to 55 MPH I see a easy 24-25 MPG but pyrometer temps drop to about 500-550*F at 55 MPH.

exactly i get way good mpg at 55 and my egts are low thats what i want at 65mph is what i have at 55mph. 

600-630* isn't anything to worry about, why are you concerned about these temps?

Im not worried about my egts i just notice when they get above 600 i loose 4-5 mph instantly. so saying that if i have my egts at 65 mph what they are at 55 mph, if i got my egts over 600 it would only be a small loss vs a big loss

Well this is my first post on this site, so here goes.

First off 20 MPG is great fuel economy for a 5.9. Could it be better sure but as it has been mentioned earlier in this thread 20 MPG is nothing to be worried about.

Your tuner may yield additional fuel economy on a lower or greater setting. Playing with the settings may help you net an additional 1-2 MPG.

Also if your running factory injectors having them POP tested and set at the Cummins spec of 310 BAR plus or minus 5 BAR can help too.

Using quality oils can also help with fuel economy but you may only gain 2%-5% at most. Propper tire inflation will of course help your fuel economy.

Secondly your EGT values are in the normal range. Myself personally I have larger injectors and a different nozzle type not used in the original ISB 235 engines and I usually sit around 650 or so at around 65 MPH. At 75 MPH I'm usually in the 725 area.

So just judging by what data you have shared I'd say your doing great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Correction. Need to see above 1000*F to burn carbon off.

But that is 1000° on the piston right? So I would wager, based on fuel/rpms/timing/etc, that piston crown temps would exceed 1000° with EGT's in the manifold of less than 1000°. They don't last long thou. 

It would be a cool, thou difficult, experiment to take several engines and run them all thru low load driving for a while and then see exactly what EGT's start cleaning the carbon out. 

Either way I don't think it takes long to carbon back up, and a good 6 hour tow of 900-1200° should have the pistons all shiny :-)