• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Saber by John Deere... blown belt...

We got this Saber from her brother.  It has a 54" deck.  We'd spent a ton of $$ to get it operational again. 

(Since we had a second mower, I felt safe in working on the MTD.  I was still working on getting the grill back on the MTD...  {pictures to follow}  And have the 2 dry rotted front tires off the MTD to be fixed) 

So the Saber stopped mowing.  The belt TO the deck failed...  broken & shredded.  I'm not finding much info on the belt.  Apparently some of these mowers were also sold under the Scott's brand.  There a green logo of soome kind on the belt.  I'm not getting a number.  Really don't want to take it to a dealer.   I haven't gotten a good look yet since my floor jack is holding up one side of the MTD.   

Any help here? 

• Owner

Easy way to deal with it. Take a photo of the MTD label on the lawn mower with the serial number, model, MY, etc. Then go to any lawn and garden shop that services equipment. They will be able to look up the belt and get you the right one. Like for blade belts I can go to the local NAPA and get them but they can't look up the info so its a guessing game. My last belt broke Sunday as well and I drove 70 miles round trip to get a belt so I could mow the lawn to find out the belt is a bit too small so the blade drag slightly when disengaged. But the other alternative is to take my photo go to the shop in Ontario, OR which is 250 miles round trip and they will get me the right one. Never the less this lawn mower is 9 years old and well beat. I've got multiple issues from lower crank seal leaking oil on the clutch belt to blade housing is bent/tweaked, to right hand blade spindle is bent.

Appreciate the pointer.  She moved the tractor again...  back to the barn (under cover...  also further than I ought to walk.  But I did.  Couldn't find a builder's plate)  

54" deck can only be 3 models,  25 hp limits it to 2554HV (97-02)  Just found a link which says to look under the seat or under the left rear fender.  Will send her to look tomorrow. 

PS they spell it SABRE, not saber

Edited by flagmanruss

NAPA measured the belt & sold me a new belt.  4L640W  Hope it works.  

I learned on my MTD...  Mower & snow blower belts use standard V angles but to make belts proprietary they use different pulley widths.  So you can measure them but many times, the seeming size won't work.  Hate crap like this. 

Edited by flagmanruss