• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What for exhaust?

I've been doing some shopping for an exhaust system but not sure what to get. I have a buddy with a 2nd gen 24 valve that built his own 5" and just put in a muffler from a big truck. Sounds really awesome but he complains about having a bad drone in the cab. Another friend has a 3rd gen with a 4" system (not sure what brand it is) and he complains about the drone too. The cab drone is my biggest concern since I do some fairly heavy pulling and I don't want to have to wear ear plugs:lol:

• Owner

I get drone all while pulling my wood trailer and a full load on the bed... But I'm straight piped 3"... As ofr empty travel its quiet for the most part... But I found the drone seems to increase more so as you increase the pipe diameter. As W&F had mention the muffler move forward helps a bunch. But another one I heard about is changing the censity of the pipe by straping a fence T post to the pipe... I've not tested this idea but I hear if you change the density of the pipe (T post) the drone resinance will change too...

Mine is 5" and exits in front of the back tire, so I don't even go over the axle. When it was straight piped, it would kill your head when it hit that droning RPM which is around 1800, anywhere else and it was fine, but with a trailer....I think I watched my windshield crack more... It was absolutely unbearable. I put a semi truck muffler on it and that killed the drone but it comes back with a heavy enough load, but even then the drone is fine. I don't know if straight piping and going over the axle so it wasn't exiting so close to the cab would fix it or not. I put a 1/4" piece of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron about 3' long down it when it was straight and droning to all hell, I didn't notice any difference at all.

• Like 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bully-Dog-4-Stainless-Exhaust-System-94-02-Dodge-Ram_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563956a59dQQitemZ370329167261QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories There are also bids as well - I got mine for $270 delivered. Thats 4" SS for doge - pretty easy to install - hardest part was getting old one off (ended up cutting parts) - sounds great and pretty low drone and nice 'groan' when you kick it :)

• 3 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bully-Dog-4-Stainless-Exhaust-System-94-02-Dodge-Ram_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem563956a59dQQitemZ370329167261QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories There are also bids as well - I got mine for $270 delivered. Thats 4" SS for doge - pretty easy to install - hardest part was getting old one off (ended up cutting parts) - sounds great and pretty low drone and nice 'groan' when you kick it :)

It's up to 349.00 now. A Reman, huh?

PICTURES! We need pictures! :rolleyes:

if you look close you can see how the pipe comes straight over the back axle then drops down post-10090-138698164344_thumb.jpg this is just an end view of the muffler post-10090-138698164352_thumb.jpg bottom view of muffler post-10090-138698164359_thumb.jpg this is the tail pipe after it has dropped down behind the rear axle post-10090-138698164367_thumb.jpg tail pipe post-10090-138698164373_thumb.jpg this one isn't too clear but it's the bottom of the down pipe where it turns to 5" post-10090-138698164382_thumb.jpg I just bought 90 degree elbows and cut them down to get the right angle for all the bends then welded everything together

It's up to 349.00 now. A Reman, huh?

Yeah - they have it for 349 Buy-it-now or you can wait for auction. Like I said I got mine for $270 all in ...... and apart from getting the old one off - it was a breaze - maybe 2-3 hours all done. It looks and sounds awesome - I will take some pics and upload sometime soon. I would have liked to Straight pipie it - but it stressed me too much with state inspections. This even though it has a muffler its a straight through muffler :) Very very happy with it:thumbup2: