• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New CJ-4 oils in older Flat Tappet Engine

• Staff

Not sure if I mentioned this but they run it in everything except newer generators and equipment that has DPF.

Its a highlighter mark so the sales reps may have made a mistake.

They crossed off the CJ-4, but all the specs below indicate CJ-4. That's not a sales rep mistake, unless the sales rep mistake was the Mobil data sheet cross reference.

They crossed off the CJ-4, but all the specs below indicate CJ-4. That's not a sales rep mistake, unless the sales rep mistake was the Mobil data sheet cross reference.

It may look like a highlighter but in fact it's identical on all labels, to me it looks like they screwed up printing them and before striking it on buckets ran them through printer again with cj4 crossed off.

• Staff

They know it's CI-4 oil.

Which is probably true, but why does it have a CJ-4 spec on the label?

It may look like a highlighter but in fact it's identical on all labels, to me it looks like they screwed up printing them and before striking it on buckets ran them through printer again with cj4 crossed off.

That's not the only place it says it meets CJ-4 thou. Each one of the manufacturer specific requirements listed below is CJ-4 oil and that is a bit more than a quick typo.

Which is probably true, but why does it have a CJ-4 spec on the label?

That's not the only place it says it meets CJ-4 thou. Each one of the manufacturer specific requirements listed below is CJ-4 oil and that is a bit more than a quick typo.

The TBN is too high to be CJ-4 as is the values of zinc and phosphorus. I'm comparing it on a chart. I will double check the values to be certain.

So what spec are you looking at when determine what it is, I just want to know this for future.

The biggest and most obvious is the sulfated ash levels. If it is higher than .800 percent 800 PPM it's not CJ-4 oil.

The next is the phosphorus limit which is 1250 PPM maximum allowable for CJ-4 any higher it will be CI-4 oil.

The oil in question is not Mobil 1 MX. I'm almost certain of that nor is it CAT specific oil.

Edited by Vais01

Ok the maximum allowable phosphorus for CJ-4 is 1250 and .800 for sulphated ash. If it is Mobile MX then it is CI-4. I think they lied to you to make a sale.

Nothing is adding up.

I wanted to get ci4 and they said that it was ci4, and also said don't mind the label that has cj4 highlighted out it was a mistake, and that it is basically Mobil MX oil slightly tweaked to their spec. But like AH64ID said it also says that it's cj4 oil.

If I wanted a cheap dino oil then sure.

Cummins CES 20081 is CJ-4

Cat ECF-3 is CJ-4

Detroit 93K218 is CJ-4

etc..

Correct. As Dieselfuture stated they said for non DPF engines. According to the CAT dealer he went to. My gut says something is screwy.

In your opinion is valvoline blue, rotella or Mobil a cheap Dino? Or is it just this oil we're discussing.

Cheap and available is Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo.

I would use Rotella over Delo but that's just my preference. Valvoline Blue is not as easy to find in my neck of the woods and usually runs 3 to 4 dollars more per gallon.