• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Knocking?

We yeah doing a overhaul of a engine on the kitchen table is not exactly my cup of tea either. What stops you from pulling the transmission down and checking the flexplate?

A jack and some time honestly. Also I live in apartments.

Edited by Vais01

Well the best I can say is hit a shop that can do the work... :shrug:

Not many are qualified to do the work. Quite a bit of them don't even touch a torque wrench or know it has to be certified every so often. I do know a great place but it will cost me. :spend:

Edited by Vais01

There are two options... 

1.  This is America, when it doesn't run right, we thrash the hell out of it!  

2.  Be like TFaoro, and do a wonderful awesome rebuild that the rest of us envy!

Realistically, I might try a stethoscope, a bore scope to look at the flex plate closer if you can borrow one... try to isolate the knock more.

Well thanks for making my night! I did the first one then the second one haha!

These engines don't run smooth as silk.... Trust me over 7 thousand dollars later mine still does not run smooth as silk!

I'd check the flex plate... if that's good run it! If something was majorly wrong it would show up in the analysis.

Well thanks for making my night! I did the first one then the second one haha!

These engines don't run smooth as silk.... Trust me over 7 thousand dollars later mine still does not run smooth as silk!

I'd check the flex plate... if that's good run it! If something was majorly wrong it would show up in the analysis.

Nothing in the oil that would cause a stir. Now smooth as silk is my rifle but not my engines. :tongue:

Having said that the distinct knock almost reminds me of a CAT 3116 with an improperly adjusted fuel rack.

Now I can say that over 2100 RPM the knock vanishes. I wounder if the timing key on the VP44 shaft can be swapped for another.  :stirthepot:

I bet money you'd never notice the difference between two keys.... Heck guys have jumped teeth on the gear to try and gain timing. It didn't even make the truck run funny.

You know, I seem to remember a video you made with the injection pump timing plunger sticking. I bet its pretty close to that noise. I wonder if I have a sticky delivery valve or plunger on the rotor.

Edited by Vais01

Mike made that..... I though the same thing. Swapped vp's and no difference. Too bad you aren't in CO I'd let you listen to an angry motor!

I may make the trip one day up to a military base my brother (very close friend) is in. It is not to far from you.

• 7 months later...