• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White/blueish smoke help...

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
White/Bluish Smoke Problems help....

I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 With 160k I recently am having problems with it smoking on a light acceleration until about 30mph. It stops smoking until I let of the throttle at about 60mph. then the smoke just dumps outta the pipe. I tried a hard accretion and no white smoke what so ever. Even when I let out of the throttle no white smoke at all. I am not noticing my coolant level or oil lever changing at all either. The Mods I have are Smartys03 stacked with an edge comp box. airdog lift pump. 125D62/80 silerbullet.
WYOMING5.9ISB is online now Report Post   Edit/Delete Message

lol that's a new way to post.  

I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 With 160k I recently am having problems with it smoking on a light acceleration until about 30mph. It stops smoking until I let of the throttle at about 60mph. then the smoke just dumps outta the pipe. I tried a hard accretion and no white smoke what so ever. Even when I let out of the throttle no white smoke at all. I am not noticing my coolant level or oil lever changing at all either. The Mods I have are Smartys03 stacked with an edge comp box. airdog lift pump. 125DAP injectors and a 62/80 silerbullet.

Any codes?  

White / blue smoke is typically oil.  

How thick is the smoke?

Hows your turbo doing?   

No codes... And when its idling the exhaust smells a little funny but not like oil tho.. And it's a hase when I accelerate slowley and when I let out at about 60mph it really thick.. This picture isbwhen I let out at 60mph. And it will smoke like that only when coasting... When I barly put a little pressure of the throttle it goes away.. 

Screenshot_2015-12-03-08-51-07.png

I am guessing you have a pissing/sticking injector.   I would take them out and have them tested. 

I think it is %100 unburnt diesel.  Reason it goes away on accel is you have air to burn it due to boost, at idle you have very little air and are vastly overfueled.

Edited by Me78569

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I am guessing you have a pissing/sticking injector.   I would take them out and have them tested. 

I think it is %100 unburnt diesel.  Reason it goes away on accel is you have air to burn it due to boost, at idle you have very little air and are vastly overfueled.

Woulnt that cause loss of power/bad gas miliage?

If you are not loosing coolant or oil (to white looking for oil in my mind)  I would say the first thing to do would be to have your injectors tested.  

It looks EXACTLY like a truck with a PO216 code and timing that isn't working.  since you have no codes and no driving issues I think it is mech related timing issue vs the vp44 computer timing issue,  having a leaking injector would alter timing causing the white smoke when off the throttle.

Edited by Me78569

Valve seals go bad, but typically the oil leaking from a valve seal leak will burn off pretty quick.  If it smokes regardless of the time driven I would guess it is a injector.

What you can do to help source what the white smoke is.

Let it idle and smoke like the dickens.  Use a piece of white paper, Hold it to the tailpipe for a minute or 2, ( long enough to allow it to collect on the paper.  

Doing so will allow whatever the smoke is to collect, cool, and you should be able to ID it easier.  If it is coolant you should see the paper turn greenish, if it is oil / fuel you should see blackish, but you should be able to ID it by smell at that point.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

I still hold to my same answer as on CF.com

First and foremost don't drive that truck till it corrected.

I would pop test the injectors. First thing. While the injectors where out I would compression test the engine. This just verifies there is no piston or cylinder damage. I'm pretty sure you'll find a damage injector.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/1858642-white-bluish-smoke-problems-help.html#post21409434

Welcome to the other side... We've got cookies!

Edited by Mopar1973Man

they work differently as in you won't have a gallon of fuel in the cylinder, but if the tip blows off etc you are still going to have big issues.   They can piss if the nozzle is stuck, but only the fuel that was pressurized by the last cycle of the injection pump, not the rail.

I agree that it looks like unburned fuel.  My truck and my VW diesel both look like that when starting on a cold day and it has a distinctive look and smell.  White smoke can only mean two things; coolant or fuel...and nobody can mistake the smells of fuel and coolant.

The tips have  been known to occasionally come off of an injector, so you no longer have a fine mist going into your cylinder, but a splash.  It can only inject as much fuel as is in the pipe for that cylinder.  The tip could very likely have got out the exhaust pipe without doing any harm, but this is something you really want to check out very soon.

It only takes a few seconds to pressure test your coolant system because you definitely want to rule out a head gasket or some other such nastiness but my money, (or yours, more accurately), is on the injector.