• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Charging circuit problems?

This morning before work, it had been a few days since driving the truck. I go to start it, and it's dead!

Had to quick charge it and get going on the road with about 70 percent charge. Get home and go to top the batteries off and check voltages. The terminals are getting corrosion. I just recently cleaned the terminals and re sprayed them. This happened in the duration of time from today. I can see how having the alternator do the Charging could cause am excess of venting from the battery?

I checked every cells specific gravity and one Had a different value than the other battery but not by much. I can't remember by how much since I did it when I cleaned the terminals.

My curiosity is whether or not I really do have a problem. Um hoping my batteries still have life left in them.

My alternator is a replacement from oreillys and recently been having a hunting issue come back again. I'm going to take the truck to them tomorrow and hook up their diagnostics tool to see if it tells me Anything. 

Could the temp sensor for the batteries be bad? Not sure what to make of this...

• Owner
14 minutes ago, hex0rz said:

... How do I check it?

There is no way to check other than to replace it and hope for change. There is no stated ohm levels being its a thermistor you can check it by ohms. There is no data tools that can see it other the DRBIII tool at a dealer which will most likely cost hour worth of labor to have them plug in and tell you. I think just buying the sensor is cheaper.

Bad battery cell could do this too.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Just got back from napa. Guy said everything checked out. Alternator was good and batteries were good. Batteries are 5 years old.

Said I Could have a short circuit somewhere discharging the Batteries...

I'm lost...

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Driver side battery tray. Remove the driver side battery and the sensor is a round disc on a spring. Also the battery temp sensor affects the grid heater operation.

I've seen that thing, but I never knew what it was.  I thought it was some kind of heater.