• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve cold start smoke/wonky fuel pressure

Hey fellas, I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I have a sticky injector or something. 

It only smokes on cold starts when it is not plugged in. It goes away after a couple minutes once it warms up a  it. 

When it's plugged in it just does its normal puff of black then no smoke and it does the same when it's a hot start or when it's above zero outside. 

I've also noticed that the fuel line on number 6 where it goes into the head looks damp with fuel. The fitting is tight which leads me to believe the connector tube o-ring is going/gone and if that could be the cause of the smoke. The smoke does not smell like oil, more like burn your eyes rich fuel. 

Also my fuel pressure gauge will bounce around when crusing/idle but when I'm WOT it'll hold a steady 14-15 psi then it'll go back to bouncing around. My guess is there's getting air in the system and think it might be that connector tube o ring. 

Truck is a 98.5 24 valve, 75 hp DDP injectors ( might be 100's but pretty sure they 75's. Can't remember haha) S.O. vp44, Fass 150, hx40. It also has just shy of 423000km with zero blow by, doing the oil cap flip that is if that makes any difference. 

here is a video. Was a -18°C cold start not plugged in showing the smoke I'm talking about. 

Thanks in advance for any input! 

Edited by Justin Spring

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I wouldn't be too worried. 

Are you running 2 stroke? Any codes? Are your grids cycling on and off?  

Do you have a pressure isolator on the fp gauge?

Yeah I'm runnin 2 stroke. Bout a qt 2stroke to every fill up of 100 L of diesel. Grids are cycling on and off. Zero codes. All I have to compare it too is my Dads 07 and that thing doesn't smoke at all. But it's bone stock. 

I have just a "restrictor" fitting on the hose from the vp to the pressure sensor. It used to be fine, and now it starts bouncing around randomly.  

• Owner

Basically the white smoke is from the cold cylinder temperatures. Even mine smokes a bit as its started but once the cylinder temperature comes up the smoke is gone.

Even the fuel pressure is a bit jumpy on my truck till the fuel in the tank warms a bit then it settles down. I'm also up in the cold country with minus temperatures.

Edited by Mopar1973Man