• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel additives

Mar25

• Owner

With the 2009 I wouldn't suggest any additives. Maybe anti-gel if your fuel is questionable if not then I would skip on the additives.

Cetane boosters will just decrease the BTU's

Injector Cleaners will just reduce the HFRR score and US fuels are rather poor as is unless its Biodiesel then your fine.

• Like 2

• Owner
7 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Like Mike said, if your fuel is questionable run the white bottle power service. Other than that I wouldn't worry.

If you do use power service you not going to gain much HFRR numbers. I do not suggest mixing 2 cycle and PS. They are mirror products.

2 Cycle Oil is natural cetane reducer (BTU increase)

PS is a cetane booster (BTU reducer)

• Like 1

On 12/30/2015 at 3:59 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

If you do use power service you not going to gain much HFRR numbers. I do not suggest mixing 2 cycle and PS. They are mirror products.

2 Cycle Oil is natural cetane reducer (BTU increase)

PS is a cetane booster (BTU reducer)

Well not to create controversy but fuel btu isn't really the whole story with cetane changes, check out the attached PDF and let me know what you think.

Effect of Cetane Number.pdf

• Owner

Depends on what side you wanting to be on EPA or Power Production. EPA will say high cetane is better. Power production as ASTM guide

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

Edited by Mopar1973Man

59 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on what side you wanting to be on EPA or Power Production. EPA will say high cetane is better. Power production as ASTM guide

While ASTM D975 does provide specification parameters, its a guideline for manufactures to follow when creating "grades" of diesel fuel. Power production is all about getting the maximum yield from a given amount of X. Pressure within the combustion camber is what drives power and studying the effects of different pressures and resultants (emissions via PM & HC) is how the optimum power to efficiency ratio is developed.

The CN number helps tailor the maximum yield for a given condition as quoted from the article (below). 

Cetane number (CN) is an empirical parameter associated with the ignition delay time of diesel fuels, which is determined by means of standard tests based on the ASTM D613 standard [1]. Ignition delay is the time interval between the start of fuel injection and the beginning of the oxidation reaction. Ignition delay period starts with the injection of fuel and consists of physical and chemical delay periods until the autoignition occurs [2]. Fuels with a high CN have a very short ignition delay time; that is, ignition occurs in a very brief interval of time after injection begins. Conversely, the longer the ignition delay time the lower the CN. The ignition delay time of diesel cycle engines is a fundamental parameter to effectively control the combustion process, allowing for high thermal efficiency through maximum pressures close to 15◦ after reaching the top dead center (TDC), with which the maximum torque characteristic of Diesel cycle engines is obtained

Edited by NightHawk

To re-state, I was just trying to bring to light that CN number is tied to more factors then btu's...not trying to stir up any disagreement.

Just my :2cents:

I finally settled on Optilube XDP which has by far improved the running of my truck compared to PS, Howells, Redline, 2 cycle (conventional & synthetic).  There is some stuff the puller's use that I may try in the future for comparison but XPD from here on out.

• Owner

Ahhh... Racing is a different world that daily driver. What is happening is since the crank is typically turning so fast you need a high cetane fuel that can burn fast enough. If you used normal 40 cetane fuel it wouldn't burn fast enough in the downward stroke.  Still there is a good loss of BTU content which is typically made up in overfueling the engine with large injectors. This is why you see most going down the track rolling coal smoke.

Now if you look up the world largest diesel engine it runs on a very low cetane fuel and produces 108,920 hp but turns a max RPM of 102 RPM. That's a massive amount of power in very slow turning crank! Again the cetane has to be matched for the application. So for a daily driver that is typically low in the RPM spectrum you don't need high cetane fuels. Now maybe if you constant interstate running at 80-90 MPH turning high on the tach then you might want the high cetane but still in all it will impact your MPG number either by BTU content or by the wind drag or both.

cetane-btu.jpg

Dark Green summer fuel - Light green winter fuel

cetane-btu3.jpg

Then if you want to dive on on the CARB and EPA spectrum then we can get into emissions and how high cetane fuel burn cleaner. Which is in your above post with the PDF points out. So still comes back to balancing act of low vs high cetane and getting the most from your fuel.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...