• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 Troubleshooting

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Got an air leak for sure.

Injector o-ring good?

Crossover tube o-rings good?

Pop test the injectors. Do you have any pissy injectors.

Banjo a the back of the head wet?

Suction side leak? Those never leak out. You have to pressurize the fuel tank to get it to leak.

Not sure on injector o-rings and where's the cross over tube? 

I have an oil sample bottle and going to send it away to see if i'm getting fuel in my oil. 

Banjo at back of head doesn't seem wet but i want to try and give it a tightening first before i do the other things.

i have a factory installed in tank pump and there is two hoses that just hose clamp onto the steel fuel lines then farther up there are two more hoses that hose clamp on... I don't like the idea of all those hose clamps but i did replace all hoses with new hose and clamps when i did the fuel pump.

30 minutes ago, dripley said:

There is no check valve. Once you kill the engine the pressure bleeds off but the lines hold the fuel. An air leak allows the fuel to drain back to the tank.

Yes it definitley seems like the fuel is leaking back. 

I ran a 2 pump set up many years ago on mine. I had the in tank like you and a booster pump mounted to the frame rail. I cut it into the oe fuel lines and used hose and clamps for that. I never had any issues with those connections. Ran that set up for 4 years or so. It is not the best setup by any means but it worked.

I just resolved (I hope at least) this same problem. It was one of three things, the tune from a smarty I had loaded, banjo on back of the head SLIGHTLY loose (but didn't feel wet or anything), or my fuel pressure gauge (either fitting or gauge itself) was leaking air.