• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Now my question is... It this going to be another reason to increase the price of diesel fuel to just make it cleaner? The part that scares me is the price of diesel fuel here in Idaho is roughly $3.30 a gallon and going up now because of a few local events and fishing season. :rolleyes:

i sure hope that it does not for you folks.

• Owner

It was like the whole ethanol setup. Jumping up and down because it was a renewable resource, it was cleaner than petroluem fuels, etc. Then after a period of time the truth comes out... You need a specialized engine to run high amounts of ethanol, you need specialized fuel system parts to keep the ethanol from eatting the rubber and such, then the hidden secret still yet today the fact that ethanol fuel is WAY LOWER in BTU content. Ethanol is 87,000 BTUs where normal UNLEADED is 125,000 BTU's so it take more fuel to travel the same distance... So if the manufacture of this cleaner fuel doesn't get maybe the other side of less BTU's will... :nono: I relized something a while back to have a truck that meet EPA rules will typically get you about 16-17 MPG if left alone. But like my truck Im' squeezing 20-21 MPG and blowing a bit of smoke not as clean but use much less fuel to travel the same distance! Just depends on what side of the fence you want to be on...

They say that E85 sucks because cars aren't set up for it. It's like 110 octane but then gas is 87 so how do you compromise? You have to roll with 87 compression, this means E85 is WAYYYYYYYY under compressed for its octane rating. The compression needs to be much higher to take advantage of E85, and I think then you wouldn't have people losing 5+mpg when running E85. It has less BTU than gas but still, it is just like trying to run diesel in a gasser, there just isn't enough heat going in to burn it efficiently.

it is just like trying to run diesel in a gasser, there just isn't enough heat going in to burn it efficiently.

that should be quote of the month! it doesn't matter the type of the motor, just that you can consume the fuel efficiently! as far as i know...since the seventies, we sacrifice efficiency for less CO2 and NOx. forula1 racing switched to 100% ethanol a while back. why? it is cheap hi octane racing fuel. as isx has said, the hi compression allows big HP #. also i think that ethanol has a slightly different fuel/air ratio than unleaded. heck...didn't the model T ford have a swappable carb if you wanted to run ethanol? like any fuel conversion(natural gas, 100%veggie oil, etc)...you will have to spend to save. so the oil companies claims of "fuel and go" are exaggerated.

I just thought of something but I don't know enough about them to understand how they worked. The old tractors that started on gas and ran on diesel.. What did they do about compression? I would think there would be some serious detonation..obviously there isn't but why?

• 2 weeks later...

They used to make engines with both a carb and an injection pump, IIRC the CR was around 10:1. Running gas on a cool engine warmed the engine at about 1/2 power then you changed to #2 or #1 fuel and ran normal.Currently the seem to price by BTU content and they say that 1/2 gallon of natural gas and 1 gallon of diesel makes 1 1/2 gallon but then there is the heel. It ought to be price neutral, cost of production covered by the cost of natural gas.I have run gas diesel mix in gas engines, up to 50% in a Jeep OHC 230, that is where it showed signs ..... run on and hard start in the 30's F. When they had trouble with vapor pressure on the gas adding 10% diesel netted a mile per gallon and no vapor lock.

I just got to thinking and it would be interesting if there was a separate 1 gallon tank of say, kerosene, that the truck started on and then you switch over to regular diesel.. Only issue would be the time it took to fill the fuel filter with it, then drain it, then keep it from having the return lines fill your regular fuel tank with kerosene. Maybe you could have a valve on the return line and on the line right before the IP so that it would skip the fuel filter and the regular fuel tank, and would use the little kerosene tank and separate fuel filter so it would be simple to switch over. Hmm, if you were worried about lube, just run B50 with enough diesel clean to keep it from gelling and it would still have an insane amount of lube and the cetane would be so high it would start right up. That was the only good think about the B20 I ran a few times in the winter, would start up a lot quicker, even though it doesn't go as far on a tank, would still be nice having it as a start up fuel. I would have to do a lot of overflow valve work so the regular fuel would just go back to the tank but the startup tank could use an electric fuel pump so I could turn it on and off.